Ancient Seven-Ski Inn Owner Took Down by Trespassing Troopers

An upstanding, venerable business owner wonders what Michigan State Police (MSP) were doing on a couple of lots he owned.  The 83 year old man gets taken down with force for allegedly not listening to commands, gets knocked unconscious and suffers broken bones, a broken nose, and road rash from the encounter. 

Here's the kicker:  the MSP are trying to charge this man with assaultive behavior, there is no internal investigation into the troopers' behavior, and this old beaten-up codger is hopeful that footage from his cameras will reveal his version of events which has him innocent of wrongdoing.  The Traverse City Record Eagle reports:

A Ticket, A Takedown

83-year-old man injured in scuffle with troopers

TRAVERSE CITY — Larry Dale Sevenski took calls from his Petoskey hospital room as he considered what his next days will entail.

Will he return to his Elmira home, or have to turn himself in to Antrim County's jail?

Sevenski, 83, could face a criminal charge after a March 17 altercation with a Michigan State Police trooper that left him hospitalized with a broken arm.

The incident began when troopers stopped Sevenski at the corner of Thumm Road and U.S. 131 in Antrim County, MSP Lt. Mark Harris said. He climbed out of his car and "aggressively" walked toward troopers' patrol car. He didn't listen when troopers told him to return to his car.

"At that point the subject became more assaultive in his behavior, and as a result was subdued and taken to the ground," Harris said. "And unfortunately that's where the injuries occurred to Mr. Sevenski."

The 83-year-old was left with a bloody nose, pain in his right arm, and a ticket for failing to signal, Harris said. Paramedics treated him at the scene and took him to McLaren Northern Michigan hospital in Petoskey.

Sevenski said he went unconscious during the incident and was left with an arm broken in two places. He balked at Harris' description of the late-night stop.

He said he drove from his tavern on March 17 because he wanted to talk to the troopers he heard were gathered at the lot he owns nearby.

"I wasn't assaultive," Sevenski said. "I'm almost 84 years old. Why would I try to take on an officer half my age? ... I know better than that."

Harris contended there are more variables to the story than Sevenski's age.

Troopers requested Antrim County Prosecutor James Rossiter authorize a resisting and obstructing charge against Sevenski — they dictated so on the ticket they wrote him on March 17, in which they indicated "driver will also be charged with R&O police officer as part of this incident."

Harris declined to describe Sevenski's behavior until Rossiter decides whether to charge him. Rossiter, through Antrim County legal secretary Debra Ho'on, said he was not available for comment.

There is no investigation into troopers' behavior during the stop.

"There is no evidence at this point of any wrongdoing," Harris said. "The troopers appeared to have acted within our policies, within the law."

Sevenski said trail cameras near his parking lot may shed more light on the incident.

"It might not be excessive to them but it sure was to me, or else I wouldn’t have ended up in the hospital."

This, if proven to have the MSP in the role of bad actors, and many other similar "Real Stories of the Michigan Highway Patrol" in the news of recent, should make you consider whether it is in our Michigander's best interests to have a police agency that polices itself (and does so badly) that has zero accountability and little knowledge (and often littler regard) for the local areas they patrol.  We elect county sheriffs, we have city and township council hold control over their police, but nobody oversees the MSP other than itself.

Views: 1838

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like the nebie didn't study this thread and pictures very well, youngster I'll bet, arrogant, shallow, and loud. Better take your meds Deidre, before you have your daily seizure, and need an ambulance, LOL!  As a newbie member, you aren't making any friends, and the smell is becoming nauseating, may want to change mouthwashes, lmao!

Typical cop drivel by, Anonymous...

Hi Everyone!! Let's all have a seat it's story time.

Listen closely while the rambling idiot tries to spin his fairy-tales.

Let's all close our eyes and make believe his words are evidence, because he has a broken camera.

Now, open your eyes and believe!

LOL I second that motion!

They are charging the 83 year old geezer with a felony.

The MSP were fortunate they had 2 troopers present  to take out this hombre.

"Sevenski then clenched and cocked his right fist to strike (the trooper),"  from the report. Were the officers frightened? Was Sevenski readjusting his hearing aid to better understand the command.

Antrim County Prosecutor Jim Rossiter on Tuesday authorized a charge of resisting and obstructing arrest — a felony punishable by up to two years in prison — against Sevenski in 86th District Court.

http://www.record-eagle.com/news/local_news/sevenski-faces-felony/a...

You scooped me-- and made me chuckle despite the surrealistic decision by the prosecutor.

Any video yet of what occurred? Why were the MSP out on his property/vacant lots? Or weren't they? Still a lot of details left out for me. But, that still seems odd that this 83 year old man would attack them, and that MSP's training is that they have to beat the Hell out of anyone this elderly. Was Sevenski also drinking at his Tavern that night? What time was all of this?

Another perfect example of why the police need to wear body cams. Until people can finally see what happens on these police "stops" we'll never know just who's telling the truth.

Speaking of nursing homes, I just saw a news video of one last nite and the 93 year old woman was getting thrown into a wheel chair hard, pulling her hair often, then also thrown hard into her bed and also pushed hard to stay there. She was NOT fighting with them, they were abusing her and also yelling at her the whole time. Very disturbing. I also know that MSP should have mace guns on them that can also substitute for beating anyone that is out of control in the streets or using the taser. Keep this thread updated please.

That video was taken 3/17/17 in Sharon, Mass. at Wingate of Sharon. Couldn't copy video, but you can google it. 

The latest update as of March 22 in the TC Record Eagle.  He faces arraignment for a serious felony for getting beat up by a small gang of Michigan State Police troopers hanging out on his property.  SMH.  

TRAVERSE CITY — A prison bunk could follow a hospital bed for an elderly Elmira man who was hospitalized after a run-in with Michigan State Police troopers.

Authorities contend Larry Dale Sevenski climbed out of his 1985 Mercedes and walked toward the troopers who pulled him over, according to records filed in 86th District Court.

"Sevenski then clenched and cocked his right fist to strike (the trooper)," records state.

Antrim County Prosecutor Jim Rossiter on Tuesday authorized a charge of resisting and obstructing arrest — a felony punishable by up to two years in prison — against Sevenski in 86th District Court.

Rossiter did not respond to requests for comment.

Troopers stopped Sevenski in Warner Township on March 17 after he turned without signaling and made a U-turn on Thumm Road — they ticketed him for the infraction.

Sevenski did not comply when troopers told him to back up and return to his car, records state. He told a trooper he wished he had a weapon.

Sevenski refuted the description of the encounter filed in court.

He was the one hospitalized after the altercation — records describe how troopers "took Sevenski to the ground." Sevenski was taken to McLaren Northern Michigan hospital in Petoskey after the incident, where he was treated for a broken arm. He was released Tuesday.

"I've gotta fight it," Sevenski said. "I got to fight them. I wasn't the one that hurt somebody. They hurt me."

Sevenski declined to further discuss the details of his pending case or the information authorities provided in court records.

He is resting after his return home from the hospital. He is preparing to raise money and hire an attorney before he turns himself in for arrest at Antrim County's jail. He is scheduled for arraignment in Bellaire's courthouse on April 3.

The procedural steps are unlike what Sevenski, owner of Larry's Sevenski Inn, is used to.

"I'm just bewildered at how things can change so fast ... how things can get screwed up so bad," he said.

Larry Sevenski was officially charged with assaulting MSP officers in a packed courtroom.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/35027105/antrim-co-courtroom-packed...

9 & 10 news has a freedom of information request for the dash cam footage.

I think the Antrim County prosecutor know he got a real flustercluck on his hands and brought the charges in order to intimidate Sevenski. Same deal with the troopers being cleared of any wrongdoing.

Many thanks to shinblind for the excellent link and news coverage. Kristina Droste, what a joke prosecutor. Wants people to believe this 83 year old deserved a broken nose and arm, she needs the same treatment I guess to see reality. Public support too is excellent and well deserved. I can see this going to a jury, and without a video to hide the brutality of the MSP. A Jury trial is going to find him innocent from all I see right now, and the officers perhaps charged and suspended or fired. Plus damage awarded for this man's pain and suffering. Good update, keep us covered, thanks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service