The following are the businesses that have been nominated for Business of the year award 2014. Who do you think should be awarded that honor?

Adam’s Construction & General Contracting,

FloraCraft,

McDonald’s Bakery 

Lake Michigan Carferry/the SS Badger.

Views: 275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm really not a fan of these types of awards because there are so many good companies that work hard and contribute much to the area and putting only one above all on a pedestal, to me, is not good politics. But since the question has come up I am putting my two cents into the conversation.

I know nothing about Adam's Construction but I haven't heard anything negative about them either.

FloraCraft, although a large employer in the area, should not be nominated for this award because they request and  receive tax subsidies from the City and who knows what other Government entity.

Lake Michigan Carferry is always a good choice and deserves much praise for keeping the Badger afloat amidst all of the liberal hoopla about the coal ash. They could have gone belly up but made a commitment to keep the old barge on Lake Michigan. Kudos to them.

McDonald's Bakery has been around for years and is without a doubt my favorite bakery. Their bread makes the best toast and sandwiches. 

I have to lean toward the Carferry or Mcdonald's Bakery, however Because my stomach is voting for Mcdonald's, my mind has to follow.

Lake Michigan Carferry would be my second choice, however, it may seem like I favor those two businesses because I live within a block or so of both.

McDonald's Bakery, hands down.  The McDonald family has operated this business since 1889, and always give a lot more back to the community with their modest facilities.  Yet, the humility of the family is easy to overlook when the Chamber of Commerce is handing out meaningless rewards of recognition to other parties. 

Hw did these business's get nominated? if you look around our city there are a lot of business's that could be picked.

stump, I'm posting a link to the Ludington Chamber of Commerce regarding the award. I'm not sure who can nominate a business or how the process works. 

http://www.ludington.org/annual-dinner-awards

McDonald's Bakery also my fav.. Their sign out front says est. 1908, but it could be earlier if someone knows better. They are into their 5th generation of family ownership and management. You couldn't ask for a better family of wholesome honest hardworking individuals. They shy away from any political and religious affiliations outwardly. Just down to earth hardworking locals that really care about their trade, their products, and producing the best they can, and it shows in every item they make.

The link Willy supplied had the information for nomination, namely:  "All nominations must be submitted in writing on Wednesday, April 8th and must include the name of the individual submitting the nominations.  Nominations should be submitted to the Ludington & Scottville Area Chamber of Commerce, 5300 W. U.S. 10, Ludington, MI 49431. Attn: Kathy Maclean/Awards. Nominations will also be accepted at kathym@ludington.org."

Next year will roughly be the same, so if you know a business that deserves recognition you or anyone could nominate them.  Some secret chamber process picks a winner, which seems to me to be an indication of the business' popularity in the chamber rather than any other criteria.  That's why an understated and humble company like McDonald's Bakery may be left holding its donuts at the end of the day while Floracraft or LMC gets the vote on May 2. 

That's what I meant by "who" nominates and "how" the process works. The link didn't mention if a person had to be a member of the Chamber or someone from the public at large could nominate a candidate. Neither did it mention the process for choosing the winner. I hope McDonald's gets the award.

My presumption is that the public at large can submit a nomination on any business that meets the criteria.  The nominators of McDonald's Bakery were Eleanor Anderson (who I believe is a nurse) and Mary Lynn Kuhn who at 76 years young is probably retired.  It's not explicitly stated, however, anywhere that I can see, as to the rules of who can make a nomination.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service