Supreme Court Makes Decision on Free Speech Issue. Why are Liberals so Upset?

In a 5-4 vote, mainly down ideological lines, the Supreme Court changed McCain-Feingold campaign finance 'reform' on grounds that it violates free speech rights of corporations. 

Judge Kennedy, writing for the majority said, "When Government seeks to use its full power, including criminal law,to command where a person may get his or her information or what distrusted source he or she may not hear, it uses censorship to control thought.  This is unlawful.  The First Amendment confirms the freedom to think for ourselves."

Prez Obama commented that it was "a major victory for big oil, Wall Street Banks, Health Insurance Co. and other powerful interests that marshall their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of Americans." 

Here's an article about this topic-- what do Torchbearers think?

Views: 225

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought it was an inexcusable dis to the Supreme Court when Prez Obama criticized this ruling when he gave his state of the union address. The Court had strengthened the rights of the people (albeit corporate), lessened the power of the gov't, in the freedom of speech arena, and he chided/lectured them for doing so in this public forum. Can you imagine the hullaballoo in the media if Prez Bush had rebuked the SCOTUS for strengthening free speech rights?
I think one of the things that Obama needs to work on is in regards of who and when to take swipes at people. The shot at the SCOTUS during the SOTU address was not very presidential IMO, I also think the swipe at TV pundits wasn't needed during the address. Maybe its just me but it just seems a bit petty to feel that you would have to do that in that sort of a situation.
From his stand point they weakened free speech as the big lobby's really don't represent real important people. But verily I say unto you.. If I was a SCOTUS.. and an Obama administration advocate come before me on a policy such as don't ask don't tell or such? He would not have a very hard time arguing his stand point to one of my jurors???!!! lol
I was pretty much straddling the fence on this decision, feeling an awful lot like Mary. But when I saw Barack and his liberal cohorts trashing the Court, I realized there must be something positive to this decision if it makes them so upset. Now I am firmly on the SCs side of the fence after looking more closely at it.
You got me, Edie! LOL. I'm definitely straddling the fence on this one. Hope that's ok with all of you. I'm still bothered by the decision, but I was quite surprised at our president calling the SC out in front of the American people. I was disappointed in the SOTU address - it lacked substance.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service