Trooper dies after on-duty motorcycle crash

PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A Michigan State Police trooper who was soon to be married died Wednesday after a motorcycle crash while on duty near Rockford.

He was identified as 28-year-old Timothy O’Neill on MSP’s website and Facebook page. He had been with the Rockford Post since becoming a member of the Michigan State Police in 2014.

The crash happened around 7:45 a.m. near the intersection of Wolverine Boulevard NE and Belding Road NE in Plainfield Township. At the scene, O’Neill’s motorcycle could be seen on its side in the northbound lanes of Wolverine Boulevard NE while a truck that was also involved in the crash was stopped in the southbound lanes before the intersection.

http://woodtv.com/2017/09/20/trooper-seriously-injured-in-crash-nea...

http://woodtv.com/2017/09/20/trooper-seriously-injured-in-crash-nea...

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As the article notes, the initial indications are that the motorcycle struck the back end of the truck, and a picture of the truck seems to indicate that was the case, and that it was stopped for a red light.  The photos of the truck and motorcycle seem to indicate that was the case.  The accident happened about 15 minutes after sunrise. 

I can't help but think of the other MSP motorcyclist Chad Wolf who also ran into the back of a man's trailer early in the morning a couple of years ago.  The MSP relentlessly pursued the poor guy, the second victim, trying to get him on a couple of different felonies when there was absolutely no physical evidence suggesting that they were at fault.  I hope the MSP reconsider their policies of having motorcycle units out during darkness or near darkness, it just isn't very smart policy in my honest opinion.  Put them in a car between dusk and dawn, train them better how to ride; they obviously aren't doing enough to bring their own home alive. 

Use the tragedy of Trooper Timothy O'Neill to review those policies, rather than just to canonize him.  When motorcycling victims aren't state troopers, prosecute any at-fault motorists as if they were.

They state they are doing an autopsy. Even if drugs were found in his system that would never be divulged like any other persons results would. Had to have been distracted in my opinion. And, from the distance that bike traveled he had to be speeding to go that distance after impact. 

I think they will publish autopsy results. They did in the recent crash/death of the officer in Muskegon. It might be awhile.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service