Breaking News: Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot in the head

Democrat Gabrielle Giffords, a Rep from Arizona was shot in the head at a community event. Witnesses have reported hearing up to 15 shots. Injuries and fatality reports have fluctuated with reports saying that Giffords passed away although at this point, its now being reported that she is still alive but in critical condition. Its also been reported that 4 people did die in the shooting, including a child. Reportedly, the gunman approached where Giffords was speaking to a couple when he yelled something and opened fire. Other then saying that is was a male that was the gunman, nothing else that I have heard has been reported as to who the guy was. 

Giffords sounds like she would be described as a blue dog democrat (she was a former republican), fiscally conservative and a gun owner. Had she been in my district, I could of seen myself voting for her possibly.

Anyhow, the story is unfolding as we speak, surely we will know much more by this evening.

Views: 616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tragic.  Current reports have that a judge was also among the group and is one of the fatalities and up to nine people are in the hospital.  Sure to change.

Shocking, and totally uncalled for. The child was a 9 year old girl and a Federal Judge, among other staff members. Gifford's possible fatal injury is in the head, with surgery underway. The assailant was tackled by a bystander and police also shot him and took him into custody. More statements are ongoing.
I saw on Twitter that the little girl was born Sept. 11, 2001. How ironic is that? Politics in this country has pushed us all to the brink. We can no longer express opinions or have civilized discourse without looking over our shoulders or watching our backs. I hate to admit, but IMHO forums like this and the Internet in general have contributed to the present state of affairs.

Just to clarify, I'm not condemning The Torch. I'm wondering if I could easily become part of the fray if I had too much time on my hands. I get as irritated as the next person when I believe politicians are listening to special interests rather than the voice of the people. I find solidarity among those who share the same complaints, but it has the potential to get out of hand.

One interesting point is that Giffords' Congressional District is one that was depicted in Sarah Palin's crosshairs diagram that caused a stir prior to the November elections. Palin's "charisma" and ability to stir up a crowd concerns me. Freedom of Speech or not, where do we draw the line?

Where do we draw the line? I don't know if we could if we wanted to. Someone that is mentally deranged as this person that did the shooting seemed to be, will do whatever their intentions may be, regardless of anything else. There is no indication so far that this guy had any real political ties one way or another and also no indication that he had inclination to Palin's crosshair image.

A  'crosshairs' image was used in another Arizona election cycle in 2006 when Democrat Harry Mitchell used a image of crosshairs on his opponent JD Hayworth in a political ad. Also, back in 2008, far left leaning website, The Daily Kos, mentioned that a bullseye be put on Giffords district as someone that shouldn't be given a primary. So the idea of using crosshairs is hardly a new idea.

Most respectable media outlets have opted to steer clear of bringing politics into this, for the time being anyway. Hopefully when its all said and done that people will use the facts and not let their political agendas mar the facts.

Dave heard on fox some are blameing the Tea Party.   This Idiot hated all goverment.   He would have been put in a mental hosp in the 50'-60's but some wanted them closed.
I've heard all sorts of stuff so far about the guy... but to this point, I don't put much credence into a lot of it. About the only thing that is for certain is that the young man had a lot of issues. Its appearing that he might be anti government which wouldn't really put him any political partys camp so to speak.
I agree and but also fo not put much credence into a lot of what is said until the investigation is over.   But having some lames blameing everyone else is wrong.   He is the guilty party not some movement that some do not understand what it is about but they blame everything else on them.  
Yeah, I'd rather have some facts then a bunch of assumptions. I am sure that I don't have to tell anyone here why its not a good idea to assume things... specially in situations such as this. Assumptions in cases like these do no good at all and only confuse the situation.

Mary

I think your looking at this from the wrong perspective. I think forums help ease tensions by letting folks have a say about their beliefs. There's always going to be the fringe nut cases. These nuts have been with us since humans first walked the Earth. Radical Islam being a perfect example.

Mary A. how could you????????????????? You take this or any other forum on FOS, Freedom of Speech, and SOCB, Systems of Checks and Balances, to be contributing to such atrocities? Death and assassinations of public elected officials? Sorry, you're warped vision of this and any other forums of this nature are totally false, pretensive, and very offensive to ME! As well it should be to any Patriotic American that wants and voices opposition to Wrongdoings by our elected officials. I have agreed with you countless times in the past 2 years on many subjects of debate, but this time girl, you just stepped into a cowpie, imho. So SAD! but ultimately TRUE!!!!

Christina Green, the 9 year old girl killed by the gunman, is proof to me that this crazed person's motives were not entirely political or based on ideology.  He was just wanting more "bodies to hit the floor" as the song he used as a backdrop on his video of burning an American flag says. 

"Let the bodies hit the floor
Let the bodies hit the floor

Beaten why for
Can't take much more

Here we go...Here we go...Here we go

One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me

One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now

Let the bodies hit the floor"

One should not make the leap that would suggest a song would lead this troubled youth to have the conscious ability to pull the trigger on an innocent young girl in this oddly-motived act, but this song would seem to reflect the gunman's raison d'etre.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service