Tonight I was down checking out the Washington Bridge work while heading back home around 11 PM when I started hearing a bunch of sirens.  A police cruiser zoomed down Dowland going exceedingly fast towards my house's direction.  Relieved that my interest in the bridge was not the source of the commotion, I wandered up to Dowland Street where I saw another two fire officers heading that way with their own personal vehicles. 

It was kind of scary because they were slowing down right before my house, and turned up the street.  By the time I got to the street corner myself, I seen the group towards the front of 506 George Street, the house in between Melindy and Danaher Streets on the west side, which normally looks like this when viewed from the northeast:

But of course it was dark, and it was on fire so it more looked like this viewed from the south:

I heard the sound as if someone was calling for help, as did other neighbors, but it seemed like forever before the first fire engine arrived, the flames self-ventilating the window shown.  Other neighbors commented that the person who lived there was known to have fireworks and guns there and was allegedly a smoker.  It sounded like a tricky combination.  There is no word whether there has been any fatalities, but from the quick placement of the yellow tape, and some of the radio traffic, there may have been. 

Scarily, this has been the second fire in my area in the last month, both originating at around the same time of day.  This one happened on May 17, just up Melendy Street less than a block away.  It bothers me a bit that I can't help out my neighbors anymore when something like this happens.

Here's the specs on the house courtesy of the Ludington Assessor, 506 George Street

Views: 1049

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About ten hours ago, Aquaman said:  "...I already made a recent sincere post wishing Mohr's daughter well in her pursuits for donations, and for Mohr to RIP. I also regretted, and have stated so, categorically, in an earlier post about "reflex & ill-timed" comments I may have made hastily. I'm sorry for his family's loss, and that's it!" 

This sounds like an 'apology for insensitivity' as Lisa said, but you're putting the threshold higher than that.  I admire both your and Aquaman's passion in discussing this and other things, but the main controversy, as Lisa says, should probably be dropped before the gauntlets fly over a matter of subjectivity. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service