Young Bicyclist at Fault When Struck from Behind, MSP-- Big Surprise

I'm getting the police report on this one.  Today's LDN 9-2-11, p. 3, has the following report:

Boy on bike injured in crash with vehicle

A 12- year old Ludington boy was injured after being struck by a vehicle Thursday [9-1-11] afternoon in Amber Township.

The boy was riding a bike eastbound in the 2700 block of Hansen Road about 4:50 PM Thursday when he apparently didn't see an approaching vehicle and veered into its path, according to the Michigan State Police, Hart post.  The vehicle was also headed eastbound on Hansen Road and was driven by a 35 year old Freesoil man.

The boy was transported to Memorial Medical Center by Life EMS.

The names of those involved in the accident were not available this morning.

Police say alcohol, drugs, and speed were not factors in the accident.

The Mason County Sheriff's Office and Scottville first responders assisted at the scene.

Isn't this ridiculous; a driver fails to safely pass a 12 year old bicyclist travelling legally in the road (likely in a no-passing zone) going the same direction on unsafely engineered Hansen Road, and won't even get a ticket or take any blame for it from law enforcement.  I see these incidents happen to bicyclists and motorcyclists every time I check such accident reports; it's always the bicyclist's or motorcyclist's fault according to the responding LEO's and their accomplices in the media even when the data doesn't say so.

Views: 80

Replies to This Discussion

This is a picture I took this evening, looking to the west at the beginning of the 2700 'block' of Hansen Rd. which continues to a little past the tree line to the right.  The area is mostly flat and straight.  The motorist travelling towards you in this picture on the Thursday before Labor Day more than likely had traffic coming from the opposite side in the 3/8 of the mile between this and Stiles Rd. 

If so, to pass the boy he would have had to stay in his lane, which means the boy would have a couple of feet at most to exist in.   As you can see the road is a no-passing zone in this area; should not a bicyclist merit the same right as a motorist to not have another car pass them in these zones?  Maybe?

Mr. 35 y.o. Freesoiler, In 3/8 of a mile you would have had to come to a complete stop at Stiles Road, how come you couldn't slow down before then and pass this bicyclist safely?

I always give walkers/cyclists as much room as possible, regardless of age. In addition, if I encounter on coming traffic with an obstetrical in my lane I will stop not try and sneak by. So many times, traffic or not, I have seen some that won't give an inch. I don't know if it is stupidity or attitude. 

Good for you, Robert; as someone who both walks and rides bicycles along our city and county roadways, I wish we had a lot more courteous drivers like yourself.  Thank you for joining our group-- you don't have to ride a bicycle, motorcycle, or walk much to join here, you just have to be concerned about those who do.

Today's LDN had an update on the accident.  The boy's name was Damon Boyce, whom I don't know , but the only other 'Boyce' around Ludington lives in town, so I will presume he was travelling between Ludington and Scottville on a longer trip with his bike.  He is in fair condition at De Vos Children's Hospital in GR.

The driver was not 35 y.o. like was initially reported in the LDN and Mlive, but 24 y.o. Christopher Lester.  I do know Chris, and it would not surprise me that he would pass in a dangerous manner and not be totally telling the truth.  Not saying he did, but I would like to hear from the victim.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service