At the beginning of the public comment period of the last Ludington City Council meeting Ludington Firefighter Bob Hannah got up and spoke of what he thought was the most pressing public issue in Ludington.  I managed to make a transcript of his speech and translate it here with commentary and fact check.  His speech starts at about 2:15 into the meeting, my comments are in burnt orange.

"Once again I'm up here to try to figure out why Tom Rotta gets away with spending taxpayer's money on a FOIA request.  I guess I haven't figured it out. {Not too surprising.  Perhaps, because  a person has a right to inspect, copy, or receive copies of any requested public record of any public body under a set fee structure.  Part of the public body's duties are to provide these records according to FOIA, not in a manner inconsistent with it, as the City of Ludington often does.}

I have come up with one thing, maybe because its because he is not a homeowner in Ludington and he doesn't pay taxes here {first Councilor Kaye calls me indigent, now I can't expect a FOIA request to be fulfilled because I don't own a home?  People who rent have the cost of taxes thrown into the mix when their rent is determined, so let's get rid of this prejudice against them.  Are renters second class citizens Bob?}.  So it doesn't hurt him in any way {I have paid my own money for all FOIA requests I have received, including $57 for 24 water tower records, showing oddly enough that the City Manager wasted $1.2 million of the taxpayer's money}.

I'd like to clarify some things up {government-speak for "I'm now going to cloud the real issue"}.  He had on his twisted {warped according to Councilor Holman} web site he's got that I evidently got a crystal ball and I'm predicting that you (looks at me) will win this lawsuit coming up {on this thread}.  Tom, that's not what I said, I said it was going to cost the taxpayers $50-$100,000 in just lawyer fees alone {this is a lie, he never said that (see 3:05 into video)}, it's not what they're going to pay you {I hope not, the minimal right now being asked is $150,000}; God help us, they don't pay you nothing {I could see them stiffing me on their payments, with their track record}

And another thing else is, he said I am in cohorts {cahoots?} with everybody who is on the city council because I am on the fire department {I said he was a "City of Ludington loyalist", a bit of a difference.  He shows at least that in his speech.  First he falsely reports his own words then mine.  Sign him up COLDNews.} .  Yes, I am on the fire department, but you're wrong about one thing, Tom, I didn't get on there because you lost your job {I resigned willingly, due to the direction the LFD was heading, if the LFD is telling you a different story, FOIA my resignation letter}.  Two people got hired before I did, so one of them must have got your job.  [Mayor interrupts:  "Keep your focus on the chair please."]  { LFD Roster, Join Times shows that after I resigned in 10-2008, two members joined before the year's end.  To my knowledge, Michael Bledsoe was already going through the process since we were down at least one, therefore Bob was the second one added at the very end of that year.}

And another thing is, he also said on his website that I said he had to pay John Shay for the lawsuit that he lost; what I said was that he had to pay the City with John Shay's lawsuit that you had against John Shay and you lost it {Confusing.  My only lawsuit against John Shay is the federal one; the FOIA appeal, which turned into a lawsuit against my wishes, was against the City, and I just received the judgment today from our court one month thereafter.}.  Has he paid his debt?  {there is no debt yet, Bob, nor will that judgment likely stand on appeal}  He says he does.  You know I'm not going to stoop any lower and come down {the actual direction is 'up'} to Tom Rotta's level {c'mon let's play handball on the curb, Bob}, and this is probably the last time that you're going to hear from me {good, because frankly you don't make much sense, and you're making some odd arguments withquestionable accuracy}, but I'm proud to be a Ludington firefighter, I'm proud to work with Mayor Henderson, Councilor Tykoski; they're both great firefighters {I will attest to that, but their other public service is tainted by corrupt behavior and the tolerance of the same}, they've taught me a lot {including how to write this speech}, we save lives together, I deserve to wear this shirt, not Tom Rotta.  Thank you."

In looking back at Bob Hannah wearing his shirt, making what appears on its face as a directed personal attack on a former LFD firefighter out to clean up the corruption in his city, he makes an excellent argument as to why I should not wear my Ludington Fire Department shirts anymore to the City Council meetings.  Why would I want to be associated with a group that includes crony-centric Mayor Henderson, corrupt Councilor Tykoski, and low-stooping newbie Bob Hannah?

I put two questions to the members of this site:  Should I continue to wear the LFD shirt to these meetings, reflecting my eight years of service to the community, or dissociate myself further from that group and change my apparel accordingly?  And do you think it is seemly for a city employee to use the public comment section of a City Council meeting to launch a personal attack against a private citizen?

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sound advice, Willy.  That's kind of where I was leaning, to mix things up.  I have enough to comment on with the City of Ludington that I can keep them wondering what topic I bring up next as concerns public policy.

a sweatshirt/hoodie with the foi'd on it then the t-shirt underneath.  both at same meeting, take one off to see the other.

Many thanks Bob, you're the man, right? After all, you don't own 710 E. Foster, a run-down slum complex, and btw, that pic. X posted, well, it must be ancient, cause it doesn't look like that now at all, siding falling off, paint in desperate need all over, and oh, that front porch and driveway, oh well. Not to mention a junker KIA with flats in the dirt that must be yours, and oh yeah, a disconnected local phone that "Nancy" wife hasn't paid the bill on either. Thanks for setting the example Bob, we know where you stand on paying taxes, and paying your bills now for sure, or do you have other false prophet excuses?

A memo to Bob Hannah.  If you go up in front of the council again you need to let us know who you are standing up there for.  Is it your own opinions your espousing?  Is it the LFDs, or is it your main employer, City Hall?  Your rambling speech sounds like it tries to show all three.  I wonder why the Fire Chief didnt disown that speech, its the first time I think he really should have.  Bob, I hope you show more professionalism when your saving lives with the councilor and the mayor. 

Like any of our local firefighters, Bob sacrifices a lot in serving the public through his emergency services.  If the LFD wants to compound any appearance of impropriety by a firefighter serving as a public officer by publicly condoning (or not acknowledging) unethical or illegal behavior by them, they wind up tainting the brand.

And it shows what a farce the local paper is whether Keith Branischevowicz or Patsy Klevorn does the reporting.   If I mention the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, or someone else mentions anything negative to do with me or my choice of shirts, they find it the hot topic of the meeting.   Anything substantive, whether FOIA related, OMA related, McAdam related, corruption related, etc., fails to see its way to newsprint.  Or is willfully and woefully misreported.  But it all proves the same point, when you're able to see the actual footage of what actually happens.

I have watched that CC video 3 times now, and I see something different and interesting each time. Hannah had his 15 minutes of fame, now on to the others in attendance. I see something quite stagnant when I watch these meetings, esp. the last 2 or 3 this fall. Starting with his Honor: I noticed as X moved toward the podium, he briefly, like 1 second, almost slipped a piece of paper while approaching: this caused an immediate ha, ha, ha, ha from Jonnie, a very condescending act for a man that's supposed to be our leader, childish imho: secondly, as Tyes contracts were being listed, I noticed Nick squirming in his seat, wiggling from side to side nervously, and repeatedly, almost to the point I thought he may tilt over on the floor: thirdly, Shay with the usual psycho gaze/stares: fourthly, Bannister Wilson head down as usual taking notes at $400/hr.: fifthly, Castonia with more grins like a cheshire cat, not the normal frown he usually has on: and lastly Les, not really too interested and paying attention, like he has better things on his mind than the facts and paperwork being brought up for attention and notice by X. Bottom line for me is, they could care less what is said and brought up at the public comment time of meetings, esp. from John Q. Public, "unless and only if it fits in well with the fixed agenda" of cronies they have siding with them. Did anyone else see something I left out, or that I didn't see correctly?

Good observations, Aq, I didn't catch a lot of those mannerisms.  You probably also noticed I had originally started back to the second row of chairs by force of habit, noticed my mistake and headed to the front row of seats.  Bob had made a gesture to sit down next to him, before that which I found mildly amusing.

Gee, Bob is an amusing crony isn't he? He taps his fingers and shakes his head in dismay and disagreement too, isn't that just Dandy? Speaking of Dandruff, methinks he has enuf to go around, and around, by the scratching of his head thruout the meeting too. And he still isn't listed as a Taxpayer of Real Estate in Ludville either, is he? Just another indigent renter, right?  Listed as nothing in Ludington, just another Sounding Board for the COL. Kaye, it's your turn to get another "scape goat" indigent, want to swing at him too? Might as well stick to your previous convictions Kaye, right? Or is this an exception to your opinions? And you call yourself the Councilor at Large? Give me a break, and act out your supposed convictions and supposed concern for us "locals", as far as I see, you don't give a rat's about the locals anymore, you're just another of the cronies now, cause that is where the "money and action is", not the public's interest and future is.

Aq,

October is fire safety month, and Firefighter Hannah was out teaching fire safety to the young boys and girls of Ludington, as seen in the COLDNews at least twice that same week.   Methinks it could be a bout of head lice from helmet sharing and close quarter contact.  But to be sure, I'll check the shoulders on his LFD shirt at the next meeting he shows.   

As for Kaye, I just don't take her seriously anymore, after she swore up and down at our WMOM debate that she was going to definitely vote against rehiring Shay and then becoming his #1 fan after he actually took some time out to talk with her, voted within two months of making that statement to rehire him with many glowing remarks.  She's the biggest phony on the City Council, and the biggest shill for their actions.

Good points Aquaman. I'm going to review that recording and see what I missed. Thanks for the heads up.

I actually had a few words with Bob Hannah last night.  We both mentioned the other and their organization somewhat unfavorably in the public comments, and he approached me during a recess (the meeting was over two hours due to the historic district discussions) and so these words weren't caught in the coverage.  He was civil, and we exchanged some information about each other, hopefully leading to a better understanding of each other. 

Aquaman, your observation about his house, car and phone services may be correct, but there is a reason behind all that which Bob has little control over.  In fact, he's perhaps engaged in a very noble endeavor, outside his low-paid stint in our fire department, which we can agree is among the noblest endeavors around.  I believe Bob's evaluation of me was a bit off, it may still be, but I don't think he has the full story and has to deal with his loyalties to the LFD. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service