Correctional Officers In Need of Correction: April 2010

Being a correctional officer is a tough, often thankless job.  Good correctional officers rarely get the recognition of achievement that others who excel in their job, just the grief of having to deal with a bunch of dangerous felons who could seriously injure or kill them if given the opportunity.  For those who go through their career in a professional, accountable manner, we salute you.

Lately, we have been discussing the grievance of an inmate at the Oaks Correctional Facility up north.  I personally know a former CO from that facility who I believe is beyond reproach, he has even hinted at a 'bad situation' leading to his decision to leave there.  I have sent an even-handed letter to that facility about the prisoner's grievance and have received no response over the last month. 

Lately, we have had a new member join who is solidly behind the CO charged with ethical lapses by the inmate, who he has yet to attribute any rights to.  This member has claimed to be a CO himself, and he feels the inmate is lying, and the CO involved is an upstanding CO.  He may very well be right.  The certainty of this member in the innocence of the CO, had me asking why. 

I Googled "Correctional Officer arrested" in Google News and came up with many results.  Here are just a few that came up occuring in April of 2010. 

Walton correctional officer arrested for felony drug possession
April 13, 2010 7:31 PM
Daily News
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS — A Walton County correctional officer was arrested for drug possession Monday.

Justin Ryan Tankersley, 23, a correctional officer at the Walton Correctional Institution, was charged with two counts of possession of a controlled substance after an officer found one Xanax pill and seven Valium pills in a Dodge truck, according to a report from the DeFuniak Springs Police Department.

Published Wednesday, April 14, 2010

VIDALIA — A Concordia Parish correctional officer was arrested and charged Monday with arranging drug deals while at work.
by Jolie McCullough - Apr. 21, 2010 06:12 PM
The Arizona Republic .
A former Arizona corrections officer who was accused of trying to give cocaine to an inmate pleaded guilty in a Phoenix federal district court this week, officials said.
An off-duty Westminster police detective was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping a woman at Ontario Mills Mall and raping her at gunpoint, police said Monday.

A corrections officer from the Chino Institution for Men, who was also arrested in connection with the incident, has been booked on suspicion of carjacking and is being held as an accessory to the crime.
Last Update: 4/13/10 10:07 am  
  In Rensselaer County a corrections officer is under arrest for allegedly threatening someone with a gun.

North Greenbush police arrested 53-year-old Anthony Holston, he's charged with assault and menacing. Police say he assaulted his victim, then allegedly pointed a loaded gun at them.
_________________________________-
Schenectady Corrections Officer Arrested
Posted on Tuesday, 13 of April , 2010 at 5:48 pm
SCHENECTADY—Yet another employee of the Schenectady County Sheriff’s Office is on the other side of the law.

Corrections officer Ross Lackey,27, has been arrested by Niskayuna police after a woman filed a complaint against him for allegedly striking her, putting her in a strangle hold and taking her cell phone to prevent her from calling for help.

Lackey has been charged with two counts of second degree harassment, a violation; and second degree unlawful imprisonment.
April 12, 2010, 4:17PM

Matt Rainey/The Star-LedgerA photo of the cornerstone of East Jersey State Prison in Woodbridge.WOODBRIDGE -- A corrections officer at East Jersey State Prison in Woodbridge pleaded guilty today in New Brunswick to supplying two cell phones to an inmate who is a member of the Latin Kings street gang.

Published: Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:59 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:59 p.m.
A federal corrections officer was charged with DUI and leaving the scene of an accident after he sideswiped a Polk sheriff's deputy's patrol car on the side of Interstate 4 last week, the Sheriff's Office said Monday.
Updated: 04/20/2010 12:00:41 PM CDT
She signed her name Peaches and told him she wanted to be the mother of his baby.

It didn't seem to matter to Suzanne Walstrom that she was a 37-year-old correctional officer and the alleged object of her desire was a 17-year-old inmate at the Minnesota Correctional Facility in Red Wing.
April 8, 6:04 PMMilwaukee City Buzz ExaminerTracey Esser

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, this past Tuesday, a 34-year-old Milwaukee County corrections officer was arrested due to the suspicion of second-degree sexual assault of a child.

By Timothy Bolger on Apr 19th, 2010

A federal corrections officer from Wheatley Heights was arrested for drunken driving after he drove the wrong way on Wantagh State parkway and crashed head-on into another vehicle early Monday morning, New York State police said.

Views: 1252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so agreed with u sheila! I personally dont have my pic on here cuz I dont want anyone approaching me in public they may have a problem with me - but I do always use my real name - no reason to hide -
So right Sheila and Dave, personally, I used to enjoy coming here to chat. Bat the ball around sometimes too. I've tried to contribute in a polite and honest way, sometimes others just can't follow any rules of common decent conduct, it's not in their character. This continued bad behavior on some's parts, to argue, bicker, intimidate, over and over, upsets my stomach and head too. I have a multitude of other sports, hobby, and fishing forums I'd rather go to if this has to continue here and at LT. And plenty of chores to keep busy too. Stan is over at LT now I see doing the sameo. Hope the old gang comes back now that peace is upon us again.
So right, Aquaman. As was said earlier, we are enriched by the diversity of opinions and viewpoints expressed here in our forums and welcome discourse from all sides of the pond. Yet there is an element out there who get their jollies from coming here and posting provocative material that adds nothing or little to the conversation-- and they know it.

When you continually berate someone for mentioning a prison movie based on a true story as someone who believes everything they see in the movies, and call the administrator lazy for not gathering and comparing ISP codes of members (I don't think I'd want to be a member of a Ning site whose administrator would resort to this), or for not sending a FOIA request when he has already stated that he was and has, then you have a problem member.

That this former member is likely the same person who childishly signs up under ridiculous aliases and harasses members, crazily claims he was a former policeman/current airline worker/current CO, stubbornly holds a grudge against some of us, and administrates another site whose main purpose has yet to be determined, is another problem.

We just hope he resists the urge to re-enter our open doors.
I can't help but wonder Did this thread really warrant 136 posts? Is this site turning into another LT? I hope not.
This thread was magooed to the prior post and escalated into a rhetorical dispute. No, it didn't warrant 140 posts, but it morphed into much more than just a bunch of examples of correctional officers gone bad in early April 2010 to prove a point.
XLFD
If folks don't like what he/she posts then don't reply to him/her.

Mary
Most forums typically have these types of interactions. Nature of the beast.
RJE + Disarm,
"If folks don't like what he/she posts then don't reply to him/her."

Don't I see you not following that advice over at LT? LOL

Probably not a bad idea most of the time. But if you ignore misstatements of facts and slanderous comments, you risk them being eventually taken as fact. Ridicule is probably more appropo, but this can backfire too.
XLFD
If you have knowledge that someone is posting false or slanderous comments about someone then you should delete that post. As far as misstatements of facts, I guess anyone can dig up information that contradicts both sides of a topic. That's where judgement comes into play.
And last my pappy told me: poppycock gossip must be extinguished with truth and resolve, or be accepted dogma reality. None want that, unless they are truly liars. NOT. So, RJE, take a kodak precious pic. moment of the truth, it will set you free, maybe some other naysayers too. JMO
Aw shucks Disarm I'm blushing. Your assesment and my ex wifes are quite different. She thinks I have sheet for brains and should be sent to an asylum for stupidity. She might be right.
Disarm and RJE, I have often applauded both your points of views on many threads, both here and at LT. Good work. In this one particular thread, I have yet to see anyone produce concrete evidence to the innocence of CO Fink. Stan could not produce it, Dis, you haven't either. So, while your comments remain defending this Fink individual, and you have plenty of time to investigate, please do, and post a relevant and real fact that shows Fink never assaulted Mimaugh or had intent to do harm to his daughters. That is all anyone here has ever even asked. Instead, we see superfluous fluff and praise for CO's that may not apply to Mr. Fink at all. And so far, his own warden hasn't taken the time or effort to back him up either, so, what is the public supposed to deduce from the lack of support for him. It's only human nature, not condemnation, to wonder and ask for the truth. If you can provide that, in any concrete form, that should be the close of this long-winded thread at long last I do hope. Thanks.
devils advocate time...............................

short form:

Has anyone provided evidence to the guilt of co fink?

Long form:

"In this one particular thread, I have yet to see anyone produce concrete evidence to the innocence[GUILT] of CO Fink. Stan could not produce it, Dis, you haven't either. So, while your comments remain defending this Fink individual, and you have plenty of time to investigate, please do, and post a relevant and real fact that shows Fink never assaulted Mimaugh or had intent to do harm to his daughters[<----THE OPPOSITE OF THAT SENTENCE]. That is all anyone here has ever even asked. Instead, we see superfluous fluff and praise for CO's that may not apply to Mr. Fink at all. And so far, his own warden hasn't taken the time or effort to back him up either, so, what is the public supposed to deduce from the lack of support for him. It's only human nature, not condemnation, to wonder and ask for the truth. If you[CAN YOU PROVIDE THE OPPISITE OF THAT?] can provide that, in any concrete form, that should be the close of this long-winded thread at long last I do hope. Thanks."

Okay so do you get what I am getting at, can EITHER side provide anything other than that initial letter to back up there claims?

So far we have:
the guys criminal record from the MDOC site (OTIS).

the newspaper article that stan posted

So in my opinion neither side has anything to back up there claims about his particular incident.

Stans evidence shows that the guy is a loser criminal but that doesn't really mean that what mumaugh claims did or did not happen. It does give us an insight into his character. But that is old news and we really don't know the details.

So, since I haven't said MY opinion on this yet, here goes.

I think those two were both being douchebags to each other and both said some crazy chit and antagonized the hell out of each other. So neither probably has any right to complain about the other. Similiar to a couple getting into a mudslinging arguement and then after a couple days you forget all the rude crap you yelled at your spouse.

So, neither is right.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service