MOM Radio has discovered a  big development in the Baby Kate Case. One of the charges against Sean Michael Phillips has been dropped. According to courts records, Paul Spaniola, Mason County prosecuting attorney is proceeding with only one of the three original charges in the case. Originally, Phillips was charged with capital kidnapping, custodial interference and secret confinement. The original kidnapping charge was dropped when it was discovered that Phillips was the biological father of Baby Kate. Now, this court order drops the parental kidnapping charge. Phillips is only accused of secret confinement of the child but that charge carries a 15 year penalty.

The prosecuting attorney said that this change will simplify the case for the jury. The trial begins a week from Monday. Some 50 witnesses have been called by subpoena to testify.

---------------------------

I don't know about the jury they selected, but this move seems to further complicate the case for me.  Unless there is some information that has yet to come out, a responsible jury would almost have to find Phillips 'not guilty' of the remaining charge.  As it is right now, I see the charge that was dropped was the strongest part of the prosecution.  But I don't have the great mind of our local prosecutor, Paul Spaniola.