Michigan State Police trooper from Mason County shot during traffic stop

What a horrible thing to happen here in our area. What kind of people do something like this? What could be so bad that they had to shoot the guy? Times like this that I wish Michigan had the death penalty... people like this don't deserve to live if their value on human life is so little. We can only hope that whatever punishment they receive is severe and very long term. The following is an update released by the MSP a little while ago regarding the officer that died:

Michigan State Police have confirmed that Trooper Paul Butterfield has died. “Tonight we lost a hero,” stated Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue, director of the MSP. “The entire MSP family, as well as our greater law enforcement family, mourns alongside the Butterfields. Trooper Butterfield’s sacrifice will never be forgotten; may he rest in peace.”

MASON COUNTY, MI At least one person connected to the shooting of a Michigan State Police trooper from Mason County had b...

Michigan State Police Lt. Chris McIntire, commander of the state's Rockford Post, confirmed one person was shot in connection to the shooting of a state trooper out of Mason County. At least one suspect is in police custody, McIntire said.

The incident occurred around 6:20 p.m. during a traffic stop in Mason County's Sherman Township, McIntire confirmed.

The suspect, who was shot following the incident, was believed to be alive as of 10 p.m. tonight, Sept. 9, McIntire said. McIntire declined to say whether it was a Michigan State Police official who shot the suspect.

The trooper is reportedly in critical condition.

The trooper's name is not being released by McIntire at this time. He said he anticipates new information will be released to the media early Tuesday morning, Sept. 10.

McIntire said investigators are €œpiecing together information from €œtwo different crime scenes in two different districts.

The shooting occurred in one location in Mason County's rural township of Custer, but the suspect in custody was located at the Dublin Store in northern Mason County, just south of Manistee, McIntire said.

Investigators received information that the suspect was in that area.

We got information where he might be and that's where we found him, McIntire said.

It wasn't clear if there was an additional individual in custody as of late Monday night.

New information will be available Tuesday and will be posted here on MLive/Muskegon Chronicle.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/09/one_person_sho...

Views: 1124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm far from being jealous of X, I don't find a reason to be jealous of someone of his character.  What I don't understand is how people expect the Agencies to share all the info of what happened right away.  During an investigation they aren't going to run to news medias and answer questions and tell them what all happened. I do understand nobody on here is part of the media or have any idea how the media works, though some people on here think they are, reporters, lawyers, government officials, but really nobody here is even close to any of those.  So again, instead of jumping all over law enforcement so quickly without any of us knowing how it works, lets be thankful for them and the job they do to keep us safe.  They even help keep Tom safe, which is shocking after seeing how he treats all of them.

RIP Trooper Butterfield and thank you for keeping us safe.

E Murph, I don't see you joining until just recently, your first post is July 18th, so to me anyhow, you're a "newbie". How does any newbie, without a thorough research of this forum's history, make such statements about most members, without looking pretty foolish, and in a "rush to judgement"? I expect any taxpayer supported agencies to line their ducks in a straight row, and report the facts to the public asap. I'm thankful for the job LE does in general, but we have uncovered many strange and often regrettable occurrences here in Ludville concerning LE. Just saying, waiting patiently is one thing, it's another to deny FOIA's, and video tapes that are public records, and lie and cover-up for each other. RIP Trooper Butterfield, and be safe LE, we never know when a kook like this 19 year old punk will shame this county, and our neighboring counties. The public, as dumbed-down as you perceive most of us, aren't really at all, and that's the wrong assumption to make.

They're supposed to share information. I've never heard a police agency wait a day and a half to let the public know information about a crime where the criminal had already been captured. As far as you understanding that no one on this forum is part of the media or knows how the media works, how would you know. You assume a lot. You also assume what professions we are not part of. X has never been disrespectful to law enforcement on this forum. He has only stated how he has been treated. You should do some research on this forum so that you can make accurate statements instead of the off the wall inaccurate comments you have been making.  

It doesn't take a college degree to be a journalist, contrary to popular belief. Bloggers such as X/Tom have broken some pretty big stories over the years... think back to the Clinton presidency, it was a blogger that broke the news about the Lewinsky/Clinton tryst. Maybe X/Tom isn't the next Tom Brokaw but he tends to do plenty of research before posting anything here. Of course, if you can provide evidence to the contrary of what X/Tom post, your more then welcome to post that here as well... but to just dismiss something because of the author of a particular piece us someone you don't like, just doesn't wash anymore... specially when that person just might be right.

E Murph,

Reporters, lawyers and government officials do not have a monopoly on the news, the law, or running our lives, respectively.  And believe it or not, we have representatives from all three of those occupations as members.  If anything, you consistently show a refusal to add any meat to your content.  Your postings are a mixture of berating the general membership, attacking the Torch's humble creator without your facts in a row, ignoring the problem at issue, and defending your beloved public officials no matter what they have done.  To add to the pithy comments of my three predecessors consider this picture and how it applies to the bathroom cameras issue in particular.  Any man can go to the men's room and see where the camera is pointed at, but look at the local media's coverage:

To the bathroom cameras, there isn't anything wrong with them in bathrooms.  If i'm not mistaken, if i went into the bathroom to change clothes and someone opened door to come in, couldn't a hundred people outside see me standing there?  These cameras aren't in the stalls, or in the urinals pointing at you.  It is in the corner of the bathroom watching the doorway and sink area.  I have  been in those bathrooms a hundred times to use them and have  noticed the cameras and never thought twice about it.  Why should I have a problem with them if I am doing nothing wrong?  Like someone at the city office is sitting there watching the videos over and over and seeing me take a dump or piss.  If someone really did that, that doesn't offend me, Go ahead and watch me stand there with my back to a camera.  Go ahead and "watch" me sit on a toilet.  But if you want to bring up people changing in the middle of the bathroom, well by God anybody can watch me do that since its  a public bathroom and anybody can walk in or open the door and watch me while someone is walking in.  Good lucking fighting this, I am pretty sure all of the city's comments have over ruled anything illegal.

Another sheeple

E Murph said:  "Go ahead and "watch" me sit on a toilet."

Do you get some sort of thrill about exposing yourselves to others, E. Murph?  Indecent exposure is a misdemeanor that can get you on the registered sex offenders list-- if you're not already there.

Then why have any bathrooms at all, if we can all see each other, and no one cares? In parts of Europe, they still have steel sheet-type structures on corners for people to urinate in public, and no one thinks anything of it. However, I thought our society had come a lot further over the centuries of progress. To continue to justify these spy cameras is nonsense, and quite an invasion of privacy to say the least, and in the end, quite illegal the way they are presently being used. It's easy to be a sheeple; baaa, baaa, baaa is all I hear from one poster. Afterall, sheeple don't have to think, the government takes over their mind, and makes their decisions for them, without question or thinking for yourself. We all need to just sit down, shut up, and obey, right folks?

Yeah, I said Go ahead and "watch" me sit on a toilet.  As in, if they need to check the cameras for some sort of destruction that occurred, all they see is me sitting on the toilet, if the cameras even can see INSIDE the stall.  I also don't understand your Indecent exposure reference.  Can you explain how me sitting on a toilet, would put me on the sex offender list?  Last I read, even peeing in public one or two times, that doesn't put you on it.  So I guess I don't see how using a stall would put me on it.

If you opened the link I provided to that law, E Murph, you would read:  "A person shall not knowingly make any open or indecent exposure of his or her person or of the person of another."  You invited us to watch you sit on a toilet when you said "Go ahead and "watch" me sit on a toilet." 

To utilize a toilet you must clear the way between your excretory organs and the basin of the toilet, i.e. you have to pull down your pants and expose whatever naughty bits you happen to have to us observers you have knowingly acknowledged, E Murph. 

I have no intention of watching you sit on a toilet, however.  Doing stuff like that will get you labeled a pervert, a creep, or a Ludington Policeman.

As well they should be EyE, well said. Sheeple will never understand why this is a source of intrusion of the highest magnitude, and by all decency and law, should be discontinued in it's present locations. But, some will never admit wrongs, and will continue to sweep their dirt under the rug, and right in front of the media, and public, shameful.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service