WAYLAND -- Police Chief Dan Miller, suspended since early January from his long-time job, was told Thursday that he violated city policy 32 times in the past.

The notice of the violations, presented to Miller by interim Wayland City Manager Terry Hofmeyer, came as Miller is to learn today whether he keeps his 26-year job as Wayland police chief.

Miller said the alleged policy violations are minor and most are related to earlier allegations involving a state police probe over possible mismanagement of confiscated evidence.

The state Attorney General's office recently cleared Miller of any criminal wrongdoing of the allegations. In one instance, he was accused of keeping a seized GPS unit for his own use.

Miller was cleared more than a month ago, but he remained on paid suspension by the interim city manager pending an internal investigation of other possible wrongdoing.

Many community members have come to his aid, packing City Council meetings to urge the board to reinstate Miller to his full duties.

Miller said Thursday that he had a "predetermination" meeting with Hofmeyer that lasted less than five minutes. During that meeting, he was handed a list of 32 alleged policy violations that happened in the past and asked for any comment.

Miller said he did not know what would happen today with the city manager's decision, expected to be released to the media mid-morning.

He considers all of the alleged violations to be minor. Some involved his service of a personal protection order notice and others involved investigative document he had taken home to study.

Miller has a 40-year career in law enforcement, including 26 years as chief of Wayland police.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/04/suspended_...

WOOD TV confirms that Dan Miller has confirmed his firing this morning.  The Ludington Torch has been following this story since the beginning of the year, and this looks to be just the start of a brewing controvery.  Will this turn out like the brouhaha about a decade ago where the Chief prevailed over a corrupt City Manager?  Or have the tables turned on the Chief? 

Read more here at: 

https://ludingtoncitizen.ning.com/forum/topics/wayward-and-waylaid-...
https://ludingtoncitizen.ning.com/forum/topics/the-tail-wayland-the...

In case you missed it the first time.

Views: 2735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is getting more complex all the time!  This story even has more than two sides, when we consider City Hall and their collective thinking.  Hanne, what is your relation to Phil, and do you have any irons in the fire that we should know of?

If it has been twelve years the kids should be old enough to make their own decisions of what parent to visit/live-with. Kids are smarter than most give them credit for when it comes to seeing the manipulations between parents. Some women have no conscience about running off thru whatever means possible a father when she hates him. That is BS but the courts buy into it and the dad get's screwed. Esp. when momma is dating(?) the police chief. Of course the kids will figure it all out in due time and if she is lying then her karma will get her.

Or daddy could be a full blown resentful prig and not drop the issues of the ending of the relationship 12 yrs ago so mom feels no other choice but to keep him away because he is still angry and jealous she left him. Hmm.. where does this case happen to be?

That's not always the case - I know someone who's ex wife has completely turned the kids against their father, even though she has been caught in many lies to both the children and about her ex husband. And these aren't young children either when their parents divorced they were in their 20's. It's all how a parent spins a situation.

XLFD, the only danger I am is poltically,

"Parental Alienation" "Should Be and Will Be A Crime...One Day.

When will Atlas Shrug, It doesn't matter what age you are in MI, till your 18 the courts make the decisions

When your eyes are "glued open" such as in a clockwork Orange in a Stockholm Syndrome environment, (Patty Hearst) no way out, (did I mention the Law in MI) and your Bombarded with crap making someone else, ME,look like the Devil. Where would your mindset be. Chiefs are always right? or stand for whats supposed to be right?.. Right?

When will atlas shrug -2 or too-   "No Thank you.. Very Much" I'm happily married, to Hanne, been with her 12 years.

Linda-whoever...Whatever.  

"When will atlas shrug -2 or too-   "No Thank you.. Very Much" I'm happily married, to Hanne, been with her 12 years."Phil what are you talking about???

I think it's in regard to your option 2 - about daddy being  prig  angry jealous after 12 yrs scenario. 

I think he's saying he has moved on 12 yrs ago - with his current wife and is very happy.

The day Alexis was born--- had a PPO then,divorce was not final, typical in Allegan county in heated custody disputes, when the other party wants to win at all costs. 2/9/99 probably contempt of court, probably the one that put me 10 days in the "hole" (9 days 1 day good behavior) was worth it. Only jail time there was. Every minute with my children is worth it.  Would do it all over again. Its the right thing to do. Stop the oppression, Stop "Parental Alienation" stop this form of child abuse. 

Phil, I admire the crusader for a cause spirit within you, but you do realize that when mommies and daddies split apart, only one of them can have primary custody of the kid.  If neither of them want to relinquish that right, a judge has to decide which parent and what custody plan is in the best interest of the child(ren). 

I don't know all the particulars of your individual case back twelve years ago, but if you received that contempt of court charge you didn't make a friend of that judge, or probably other judges in that area (I know this firsthand).  Any points you may have wanted to make, any argument for you or against Shawn, were likely drowned out by either your courtroom demeanor or violation of the court's order. 

I sense that you really want to be part of your kids' life, but I think it would probably be in your best interest to be the best dad you can be when you see those kids within the parameters of the custody orders.  The kids will then want you to be a part of their life when they grow up, and realize what a swell guy you are. 

Right now, I can empathize with the mother having some concerns about you, and can grant her the benefit of the doubt on her getting the PPOs for a reason other than custody issues or parenting time.  I hope both of you are acting in the best interests of the children, and not in your own.  But I'm not Jerry Springer, I can't solve such complex issues with a few words at the end of a show. 

Sorry XLFD, I was waiting for your response to fill in the ex chief part of this scenario, or just a small part of his part of this scenario that he should own, this picture was taken on the 13th of July 2011, 6 days before the miller letter, 1 month before the last phone call from my daughter and the last time she said "I love you dad" and then she was gone. You said you wanted some proof of criminal or ethical misconduct,yet it stares you in the face and yet it's still not enough? 

Look for the 2 kids hangin with Dad.

Parental Alienation should Be and will Be a Crime...one Day

Nice picture Phil, and good for you. I see a future where your kids, not too long from now, will Not be alienating you, whether the court or others like it or not; be well, safe, and keep your patience for now, good things do come to those that deserve it.

He who broke the back of mine, was ultimately the one who broke his own.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service