Those who have followed the local blog scene in the West Michigan Lakeshore Area with the now-defunct Ludington Talks and Lakeshore Soup (along with a certain watchblog that serves as the regions current voice of the people) are familiar with a photo expose' I have did twice each of the last two years which exposes the City of Ludington's inability to clip a few branches around regulatory signs.  Vegetation Control for Safety, the USDOT's publication for showing a protocol for keeping our roadways safe by controlling the trees, bushes, and other plants that are found along our streets, explains why such actions are necessary.  Both for safety and for liability. 

I finished my first review this year, and found about 40 'Stop' and 'Yield' signs being obscured by vegetation to a degree that made them unsafe by the USDOT's guidelines.  To do this, I have to ride my bicycle to intersections, and usually do a figure eight to see whether the signs are obscured unless they are obviously not.  It will often get me strange looks when I do this, snap pictures, and write down the intersection in my notebook.

This year, I also decided to do another theme, on people parking their cars across the sidewalk.  I have noticed that even though Ludington does not follow its own laws on sidewalk construction-- leading to many properties without sidewalks-- the sidewalks that exist are quite often blocked by cars/boats/RVs.  One may think this would be a great money-making opportunity for the local gendarmes, but I have yet heard of anyone getting the $30 ticket for this offense.  And yet that practice is running rampant, very often creating safety problems and deterring sidewalk use by pedestrians and young bicyclists.

Anyhow, earlier today at about 1 PM, I was in the poor (ethically) section of town, up in the area bounded by Sherman to the east, Monona to the west, Tinkham to the south, and Bryant to the north.  While cruising down Seminole Street on my bicycle, to get to the Kenowa intersection, Mayor Henderson was out in front of his house; a point I noted with my peripheral vision as I rode past.  I had also noticed a car across the street from him was parked on the sidewalk, and that his neighbor at 912 Seminole (a Mr. John Shay) had the sidewalk partially blocked by a car, even though he had an otherwise clear driveway.

I rode ahead to the intersection, checked that one and the ones further down Kenowa for vegetation blockage, and then came back to the intersection to make notes and take a picture of the sidewalk blockages    Seminole Sidewalk Block    Shay's Sleigh Blocks the Way  I had noticed.  When I headed south on Kenowa, a car drove up the street and Mayor Henderson (with his wife) shouted out to me "Tom, what's the matter-- you lost?"  He seemed upset. 

We were both rolling slowly opposite ways, and I said "No" matter-of-factly.  He then made some statement I did not catch all of, but I believe he gruffly berated me for riding by his house.  We both continued our ways, but it was kind of intimidating to me. 

Now, I had only rode by his house once, and I was on the street minding my own business the whole time I was in that area.  I never even was on anyone's sidewalk or any other right-of-way, nor was I even campaigning.  Yet he had either went around the whole block in his car, or had hopped in his car to follow me and wound up coming opposite from me after a short time to harass me with his question and statement. 

Mayor, I wish you could please start ignoring me riding my bicycle lawfully on the street, just like you continue to ignore all the safety issues concerning lifeguards, road signs, sidewalks, et. al., ethical issues concerning the employment of your daughters by the City, your rate of pay being 16 times what its legally should be, your close friend Nick Tykoski getting that sweet sign contract from his fiance at the DDA, et. al.  Or just have your neighbor send me another Letter of Trespass, and advertise that fact in our City Hall-allied newspaper, LOL.

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

City Counsil? misspelled .  unaware (disingenuous). really pretending to be unaware I'll give him her a break on that one maybe. But cumulatively, I think we are dealing with either a adolescent or an adult with those tendencies, whom after silently joining the web forum, slowly picks up on subjects they can use to foster decent amongst normally like minded individuals.

I did not think when Eye joined he/she was a serious voice just by the way the email and such was entered into the system. But hey I am glad to have the comic relief when I am not out and about due to the heat.

Don't you all know, the King Johns of Ludington own that public thru-road???  Look for sentries to be posted in the future courtesy of the taxpayers and your DDA $$$.  

Eye, its glad to see we have someone finally looking out for the corrupt bigwigs.  Be seeing you.

Un freakin believable.
How ridiculous!!!  The Mayor must be feeling the heat.  Like Councilor Scott, and Treasurer Mortensen, look for him to resign before mid-2013, so that the City Council can appoint one of those hand-picked successors they know and love.  Keep on bicycling freely this Independence Day, X.
Looks like EyE, the mayor's daughter, left the stage, like a comet, filtered thru the atmosphere then fizzled out. And to think, doesn't know how to spell council/councel/console? Don't really need to when you run the city marina I would fathom. This most recent LPD action really is a sad and memorable event given all the circumstances. Sounds like the big man is only big in waistline, not brains or mind, and borders on psychotic/paranoid, so he gets the LPD to do some more of his dirtywork for him. I just wonder what his reaction would be in a real life emergency situation if this is so shocking and outlandish? A cyclist casually passing by, by gosh, it's that wily XLFD again, get him, get him.................lol.

I will have to get clarification at some point as to whether I can ride my bicycle in the street past City Hall or the Ludington Police Department without John Shay's permission. 

I guess the Marina and the Hendersons thread hit too close to his home for him.  As long as he's at the helm of our city, his family will have no want for being able to get jobs, and those who expose/oppose his actions might just lose theirs. 

Wait until you hear the details behind the latest sweet job one of his daughters got, that he doesn't want you to know about.  While your daughters and sons get laid off or can't find work due, in part, to our local good old boy network of doing things.

Yesterday like most folks I was checking out the Ludington Freedom Festival, sitting Indian-style on the road curb in front of the old bowling alley downtown with some of the family (some were part of the parade).  Our illustrious Mayor came walking down the street with his family in his car, or handing out stuff.  The first lady of Ludington and a daughter walked down my side.  I had a camera in my hand and had taken a picture of the Mayor's detail:

Just like I had taken dozens of other pictures.  Penny wrinkled her face in recognition of who was sitting on the curb (me), and said in a surprised, yet disgusted voice "Oooh, take another picture."   Thanks for your approval, Mrs. Henderson.  And thanks for trying to ruin my own enjoyment of the parade with my family.

For the reason I clicked this:  Do you see that "Ludington Mayor, John Henderson" sign on the side of the car (both sides?)?  Looks like a Tye's Inc. 20 carat gold paint sign.  Here's a question for you:  Who paid for it?

now that your becoming some sort of a celebrity, you may want to consider hiring some security??

It may take some time, but, the truth wins out over time. There are people who are still in the dark, but the sun shines sooner or later for everyone.

Good Luck

Back in early March, my former employer, a seasoned corrections officer/private investigator had heard enough from some of the local LEOs and public officials about me to offer the following assurance to me.  He warned me that some of the people I may have irritated may have too much invested into things to allow someone to get in their way.  That if anything bad happened to me, he would investigate himself into the circumstances and try to find out what might have happened.  One can only imagine what he may have heard, because he would not elaborate more.

Easymoney, I have no desire to be anything but anonymous and alive, but I won't back down from corruption and tyranny in my neighborhood.

Who made the Mayor's gold leaf signage for his car, how much or was it gratis, and whom paid or did not pay for it? All good and fair questions for his Honor, and answers the public may want to know, or don't they anymore? An apathetic and uncaring public that only sees the window dressing may not care, until it's too late, or is it already? When any private citizen dare ask these type of questions, do innocent public figures conveniently ignore it and try to squash the truth, or stand up for themselves and answer with truth? The only answers from city hall seem to be to keep the truths buried and the questioners put in the spotlight for gossip and inuendo unfounded and libelous. LoT don't answer questions, they raise still more to me, and should for you too. I do hope a follow-up on these mundane questions is made and followed through to a successful conclusion.
I'm sure the city (tax payers) paid for it, which is not unreasonable. It is being used for public events, would you rather he used poster board and wrote with magic markers that would clearly look unprofessional.

The solid gold-black Ludington insignias are only a couple of years old in development, and a look in the archives of past parades will show that the Mayor had an old placard that was not so shabby.  As such I believe it is an unreasonable expense for the taxpayers to supply his parade car with it.  Where's mine?  I'm a candidate for public office, LOL.

But the taxpayers may not have paid for it; it very well could have been part of a quid pro quo with Tye Signs (aka Tye's Inc.).  Let's not forget, Tye's did get the $150,000 signage contract with the City DDA with a rigged bidding process. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service