A recent article in the Mason County Press without a by-line (written presumably by its editor in chief, Rob Alway) shows a typical media bias that happens quite often in the City of Ludington Daily News (COLDNews).  Alway's long-term employment by the COLDNews and/or his current membership on the Scottville Planning Commission may be responsible for this loss of perspective.  See whether you can spot it in the following article.  I have highlighted the relevant parts by boldface and italics type.

Personal property tax reductions mean loss for Scottville

January 5, 2013

SCOTTVILLE – Recent changes in personal property tax laws will mean an anticipated loss of $6,700 for Scottville, starting in 2014. Gov. Rick Snyder recently signed the Personal Property Tax Elimination bill which means businesses with a taxable value of less than $40,000 will be exempt from paying personal property taxes.

The bill also means personal property tax for manufacturing will be phased out beginning in 2016 and all personal property taxes will be eliminated by 2023.

“There are provisions in the law to reimburse local communities based on essential services like police, ambulance, fire,” City Manager Amy Williams stated in her notes pre-city commission meeting report. “However, there are still no hard facts around exactly what this means. There is a part of the legislation that states units whose exempt personal property taxable value is less than 2.5% will not be reimbursed. At this time if the calculations we have are correct our taxable value percentage is 1.63% meaning we would not be eligible for reimbursement on essential services.

“It is my understanding that the $6,700 loss starting in 2014 is not eligible for reimbursement anyway; it is the larger amounts starting in 2016 that would be eligible for reimbursement if you meet the criteria. For Scottville the larger phase out amount would be a loss of $25,665 over the period of time and we likely won’t be eligible for reimbursement unless changes are made to the law.”

The Michigan Municipal League is still working on the issue with the governor’s office, Williams said. “So there is still time for changes to be made, but we will need to wait and see.”

The Scottville city commission will hold its first meeting of 2013 on Monday, Jan. 7 at 5:30 p.m.

At that time, the commission is expected to appoint two new members of the planning commission. Jonathon Hill and Scott Gordon, both residents of Reinberg Avenue, have applied to be on the planning commission. If they are appointed by the city commission, the planning commission will still be one member short. The remaining vacancy can be filled by a non-resident. Anyone interested in the appointment should contact Williams at city hall: 231-757-4729, 105 N. Main St. or  citymanager@cityofscottville.org.

http://www.masoncountypress.com/2013/01/05/personal-property-tax-re...

I am half-suspicious that Rob has created one of the openings on the Planning Commission to devote more time to his journalistic and familial pursuits.  If he hasn't, he may just have to deal with me, as I have sent a letter of interest for that last spot on the commission.  But, did you happen to notice the problem with perspective/bias, that I alluded to earlier, that comes out in the article?

In the headline, tax reductions are called a 'loss' for Scottville, and it continues throughout the article as a $6700 loss for Scottville in 2014, and the larger $25,665 loss in 2016 and beyond.  But there is no money lost here, in fact it's in reality a net gain for Scottville.  That $6700 in 2014 comes from small businesses in Scottville, the $25,665 in 2016 comes from larger businesses in Scottville.  The money remains in Scottville with no loss or gain; however, instead of being in the City Hall Clerk/Treasurer's pocketbook, it is in the wallets of some of Scottville's business owners who qualify.  The money required to collect those taxes from those businesses will no longer apply, meaning a positive monetary result is achieved for Scottville!

Speaking of losses:  The City of Scottville, in the name of economic development, has no problem paying a Scottville Main Street Manager somewhere around $50,000 in wages and benefits each year and no problem paying Ludington's Community Development Director $15,000 a year to help in grant-writing procedures (which they have wisely decided not to renew for this year)-- but the City Government has a major problem when small businesses are granted a relatively small tax reduction (which should spur real economic development as that money is likely reinvested into their business and the local economy more effectively than bureaucrats begging for state-granted corporate welfare). 

This should be great news for Scottville citizens and businessmen, who are in the most taxed jurisdiction in the county, and should be reported that way, at least editorially. 

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sean, you read too much into everyone else's posts around here to be taken seriously as far as I'm concerned. Answer this: should LE officers (anywhere), be strictly and seriously concerned about their pay scale in a job firstly, or lastly? To me at least, sense of duty, honor, and to protect and serve, love for the work, above all should come first, to the community for which they serve. If their main concern is payscale to keep up with the Jone's, then perhaps they should seek employment elsewhere. Big city cops usually get paid better in many instances, and as a part of their routine, suffering much more danger and pressure on the daily job. Big city's have many millions of people to protect and far higher resources for higher pay. Seems some want to have it both ways, the calm and less dangerous smaller town rather than a Flint or Detroit locale in work, with equal pay of those in that situation.

So what your saying is that our police here have no pressure or stress in this area ? Only the the larger city in Michigan are crime ridden? I guess you have confused me a bit

Sean,

You should be prepared to argue your case with facts, instead of guesses that you offer as facts.  One look at Ludington's budget will show you that for salaries alone, the City budgets around $890,000 for 16.5 police officers.  Eliminate the part time clerical, you get around $870,000 to divide between 15 uniformed and one clerical (the charming Lindsey Bronson).  $870,000/16 = $54,375 per unit.  I have the 2010 W-2s showing the Ludington police higher ups making over and around $70,000 before they got the additional Scottville gig.

But the County Sheriff, seen here in this link from masoncounty.net, gets less than the LPD's minimum, clocking in at $54,012 for 2012.  If we consider annual pay as status, the sheriff should be getting deputized by Chief Barney, LOL.

And I think they deserve a pay cut because they are making a bit more average pay than Muskegon, Saginaw, Grand Rapids, Benton Harbor, etc.  All this for patrolling a sleepy community of 8000 people covering 3.71 square miles. 

And if we equate the crime rate with the effectiveness of the police force, recent stats have the City of Ludington being bottom-tiered, with 80% of other cities having a smaller crime rate.  This is what Mayor Henderson calls the number one police force in the nation?   With their record and their recent exploits, I think it is more apt to call them the 'number one' (as in the act of urination) police farce in the nation.  Ludington deserves a real police chief answerable to the people, not the corrupt city manager. 

Excellent rebuttal X, with the usual investigative integrity and facts. As for Sean and his cohort Chuck, they are cut from the same cloth quite obviously. Nothing substantial nor even objective to add to posts. Simply knee-jerk reflex statements to confuse and confound others into believing Balderdash posts, nothing more. And they wonder why they walk around in life confused and frustrated?

I'm half suspicious that Sean and/or Chuck come on here sometimes and comment just to pick my pocket for information I have gotten from my 100+ FOIA requests.  But I think it's usually for spreading misinformation to suit their purposes, whatever that is.

I highly highly doubt any road Ludington Officer makes 70k, yes the Chief and Captain probably make close to that, but that seems pretty fair when in bigger cities they would be making closer to 100k.  I believe that there is another lady at the City besides Lindsay Bronson and I believe we have 2 part time officers before Scottville takeover, So that will take your number down to about 51k and there are 3 Sargent’s there, so their pay would be roughly a few thousand more than a road officer, depending on overtime I bet.  I won’t argue with you about Shay because everyone knows he is one shady individual but saying our Chief is terrible?  I just don’t see that. I see the problem is that our City Council controls way too much with our City Police Department instead of letting the Chief control it. Why don’t you do some research about how much DPW workers make, actually just driving around and finding one job to work on and have 4 stand around and watch.  Then get 2 breaks a day PLUS a lunch break, on an 8 hour Shift.    The whole thing is that you get jealous that people are making more money than you.  You have your own website that all you do is bash and complain about the city and county.  If you are so unhappy here, then move.  But you can’t, where would you go and what would you do?  You are campaigning about wanting our local LE to take a pay cut, because you don’t agree with what they make.  Should every city employee make the same??  Do you think it’s fair that a city officer makes the same as a DPW worker?? I don’t think that’s fair.  But because you got a ticket from a city officer, you are against them.  Because LFD let you go you are against them and the city.  Because Jeffy was one of your buddies, you are against Cole and the MCSO.    If by chance your apartment was on fire, one of those LFD guys would be rushing in to save you.  If you were in a car accident or had an intruder in your house, a LPD officer would be there quickly to help you, even though you find their job as a joke and their HUGE 50k a year salary a joke. 

Sean,

This is the W-2 from LPD's Sergeant Dean Schultz clocking in over $72,000 refuting your first claim:

As stated, the City's LPD has 1.5 clerical workers, so there is often a couple of ladies there.  Technically, in 2010 long term worker Julie Chappel pulled in about $33K and Lindsey pulled in just a tad over $15K, so the 15 uniformed officers average rate likely goes to over $56,000. 

You can find the current staffing levels of the LPD at their website along with the current budget, you can FOIA the City or County for their 2012 W-2s if you want to strengthen your factual arguments in the future.  I mostly agree with your reflections on the City Manager, the city council's intrusiveness, and the DPW's utilization.

What you are wrong with is that you have made assumptions that Mayor Henderson has made in his facile City Council statement.  I have never bashed the City and County, I love this area, that's why I stay here, but I think the local government is working against keeping this area great.  You agree somewhat in your own words by saying that Shay, the City Council, and DPW are not living up to your own expectations. 

Nor am I 'jealous' in any way of the pay these people get, but I think it is patently unfair, for example, for Ludington City Councilors to get $3600 per year when the City Charter says they are supposed to get $50 per year.  Am I jealous of $3600 per year-- no-- I am upset that our legislators are not following their own charter.  For another example, I believe it is ridiculous for them to have superior benefits and salaries to those doing the same type of work in the private sector. 

Also:  I never met Jeff Fiers in person until this summer, and feel that he did have some leadership issues, just not as bad as Kim Cole's.  I was not 'let go' by the LFD unless you can rationalize that accepting my resignation was 'letting me go'.  And I do not consider the LPD or LFD's jobs as jokes, nor do I hold a prior ticket against them, except for the way Chief Barnett comported himself afterwards in violation of several matters of ethical conduct and laws.  You think we can do better, so do I. 

Agree with your opinions backs, but like I have said, as a local citizen, I just think its unfair for people to want to say that local LE need and should take a pay cut.  We don’t understand their jobs and what they go through and saying local LE make 50-70k a year doesn’t hurt me at all.  It seems pretty fair and understandable to me.  You can post our crime rate numbers but I believe they deal with a lot more than we can understand.  Yes, it’s what they signed up for and what they wanted to do...but it’s not like they should be making 30-40k a year with everything they deal with at work and off of work.  It seems to me they sacrifice a lot for us and especially their families. 

What’s frustrating is how our City Council, mayor and City Managers egos are so gigantic.  That’s where change needs to come.  You got the Mayors kids working inside the city doing jobs and now at the Chamber.  You got are event coordinator, jerk off position, getting her husband on the city council.  Yes, they are elected positions, but come on...that’s where things need to change and I feel you would agree with that more than anything.

Understand then that when I said (for the first time) in this thread that LPD officers 'deserve pay cuts' that it is because of what I have seen happen this year by the Chief, and how he has really messed up in several situations.  Also, it is a matter of parity, since former LPD officer Chad Skiba, known for his part in the Baby Kate trial and now a salesman at Urka's, was earning over $10,000 more than Sheriff Fiers in 2010, and more than 90% of the Muskegon Police Department officers. 

Chief Barnett this year has blocked several FOIA requests; condoned using officers, equipment and the color of law to use as dating services for homecoming and kept the extent of it his own little secret; allowed security cameras to be trained on areas where privacy is expected (a possible felony if you or I did it) and disallowed the usage of the images therefrom in a FOIA reply even though his claim of exemption is specious at best; has allowed his officers to drive (in non-emergency situations) ORVs on Stearn's beach and the streets of Ludington in violation of state law; harassed a new business (AGS) that just moved into the City; penned the City's new Medical Marijuana law, that only potentially makes the City more liable for civil suits, as it has no authority as per the State's appeal court; played a good part in the construction of the Letter of Trespass for public buildings, which is part of a lawsuit filed this year; oversaw the investigation of the marina dock drowning, which was incredibly lacking in many areas; etc. 

Many people, not just myself, look at these actions from their chief law enforcer with disappointment, and are stuck with the fact that he is not answerable to the people, just to John Shay, who is also not accountable to the people.  It's enough to get them to either have no respect for the law, or, be like me, have the greatest respect for the law and work to get the people without such respect out of the business of law enforcement. 

Let's take an example off the cuff, no links, to what the realities of LE are around Ludville. We have a LPD force of roughly 35 officers that protect a population of about 7,000 people, that equates to about 200 people per officer, mostly low misdemeanors. The big city, like a Flint, may have about 350 officers, covering a population of maybe 2 million people, that equates to about 20,000 people per officer, with all too many murders/rapes/drug/major felony arrests. Based on that scenario of numbers alone, can anyone tell me the LPD is working in a more or equally dangerous situation daily than Flint cops?

Just because, in your mind, the Chief has done things you dont agree with, doesnt mean his men and women deserve pay cuts.  It's silly to come out and say any LE officer deserves a pay cut. 

Also, the 1 "ORV" LPD and LFD own, is street legal, so I dont believe its illegal to be on the road.  Its not different than a street legal golf cart.  I think Schmocks landscaping has the same "ORV" that they drive on the road.

Sean,

Ethics are ethics, laws are laws, I'm sorry if I get caught up in them and you don't-- as long as a public official is breaking them. 

Read Michigan State law to know that the said vehicle is an ORV with the usual restrictions of an ORV unless a special exception is used thereof to allow riding it.  Interesting note is that when the vehicle is used for emergency or law enforcement purposes, it is not classified as an ORV.  Saying beach patrol is for 'law enforcement purposes' is a stretch. 

Here is the relevant law, use it to satisfy to yourself about what the law says, and adapt your interpretation accordingly (which I am sure will be for the continued use of their unsafe vehicle through the streets of my City, and on the pristine Stearn's Park beaches), or go back to the thread "Ludington is ORV Friendly" if you want to live the magic once again.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service