How would I request a document from the school system thru to FOIA? its pertaining to a program at LAS that is state funded - the Great Start Readiness Program - and I want to request information on how a certain child qualified for that program - I think there is something falsified or something - both parent work for LAS district and I personally don't think the qualify for this program under state guidelines yet somehow he is still in the program (and assaulting kids in the mean time) so I am in the process of filing a complaint about the assaultive behavior, but want to get as much info as I can - and this is one thing I need.  Anyone know how to go about getting this info or filing a FOIA?

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE SCHOOL and the PARENTS of this kid should concentrate on the behavior issue - but they have not - it keeps happening (this isnt the 1st time he assaulted someone at this school) I dont care if I make enemies.

Angela,

Have you contacted anybody who has control over the program, locally or not, and voiced your concerns of the behavior, and/or the eligibility? 

I would think they would be able to tell you much of the information you seek.  Particularly, if you determinedly contact the State level administrators of the GS program with your concerns of fraud and safety.

thats another thing I will be doing on Monday/tuesday
I agree with the behavior issue as important. There's been quite a few new broadcasts about how bullies in schools are getting away with bad behavior against littler ones and anyone all the time by school administrators. Apparently, they don't want to deal with the issue, making it a commonplace thing that fellow students have to put up with. It's high time they prioritize bullies better, and make offensive actions punishable with expulsions alot more often. It was even going on alot way back years ago, with most teachers just ignoring and laughing about it.

Seldom do I weigh into issues pertaining to the school system.. because of what happened to me on the Old Ludington talks forum but in this case I will explain the facts of life to some on here. 

Because of the high costs of teachers and anything in the realm of education most districts rely on state and federal monies to fund primary and secondary programs. Because funds for educational programs are also based on head count . Being as I drove school buses in Ludington areas on occasion I got to drive the vans that carried those special kinds of children to and from the programs that they then sometimes got lumped in the less (special children). On many many occasions those kids would fight with each other before even getting to the school ( at that time it was in Pentwater). In the few times I did drive those buses I did ask why on earth did they not have some facility that was not in the same building with more normal students. The answers usually involved the head count concept.

Is this fair for the more normal higher functioning students? I say no.. because you are potentially dragging down one group the more normal ones to take a chance on uplifting the ones who are already disruptive on thier own environments.

Thanks Wanda, I have the info I need about the GSRP program, but what I really need to know or am trying to find out, is what the families (of this other child) is and what qualifies him to be in this program.  I really don't think this program is any different than the other preschool classes except we cannot afford the $100 tuition for the other program - they teach basically the same thing as regular preschool - is isn't like head start or Five cap where there are documented disabilites in the child - I don't know  - I just think that because this childs parents both work for the school system, that somehow he got into this program and he shouldn't be there.  Every parent that I have talked to (in the other preschool class) are very worried that this child will be placed in the same kindegarten class as their child next year.  Its a shame, but no other parent that I know wants this child around their child.  Its a shame the parents aren't doing more to help - if my child were like this kid, believe me I would be doing everything I could to help him.

Thanks Wanda, I have the info I need about the GSRP program, but what I really need to know or am trying to find out, is what the families (of this other child) is and what qualifies him to be in this program.

Is this student in the PM program? 

As for the info you are seeking,

I kinda think that would be private.  I can't just go around asking employers how much so and so is making. Or a school official  what is the mental status of so and so student is. I'd get shown the door. 

I really don't think this program is any different than the other preschool classes except we cannot afford the $100 tuition for the other program - they teach basically the same thing as regular preschool - is isn't like head start or Five cap where there are documented disabilites in the child

My daughter in-law worked for Five Cap in Fountain for years before moving over to Victory. Some of her students may have been documented disabilites but not all. Most were from low income families.  I'll asked her.  - I don't know  - I just think that because this childs parents both work for the school system, that somehow he got into this program and he shouldn't be there.

If I'm reading the info "right" that I sent you only 75% of the students have to be from low income families. Not all.

This is from the site;

Eligibility   • Children must be four years of age on or before December 1 in the year enrolled. • Over-age children cannot be enrolled. • 75 percent of children enrolled must meet low income requirements. • Income must be documented for each family. • Tiered risk factor process is required. • Grantees that operate the program directly must enroll children who reside within school district boundaries. • Consortium members may choose to recruit and enroll from within the entire consortium region. • Children must be four years of age on or before December 1 in the year enrolled. • Over-age children cannot be enrolled. • 75 percent of children enrolled must meet low income requirements. • Income must be documented for each family. • Children must live in a catchment area defined in the application. 

Every parent that I have talked to (in the other preschool class) are very worried that this child will be placed in the same kindegarten class as their child next year.  Its a shame, but no other parent that I know wants this child around their child

I'd have to asked my daughter in-law if she is having any concerns about any students. Again, if we are talking about he PM building.

Its a shame the parents aren't doing more to help - if my child were like this kid, believe me I would be doing everything I could to help him.

Yup I'd say this student needs some attention. We all don't parent the same though. At least the child is in a preschool. A formal classroom situation is so important these days for the little ones. Education is too competitive now not to get that early education.

Again if we are talking about the PM building, try Mr. Erickson. I have always found Jerry as very fair and helpful.

Good luck with whatever happens.

thanks - I plan on talking to Mr Erickson again on Monday, but on Thursday all he told me was "we'll talk to his parents" well, that has been done before and the behavior hasn't changed.  It should be corrected NOW before it gets into a more formal school settings - if not it will only get worse............. I know who your daughter in law is, so she works out at victory & probably has no idea what is going on at PM.  The 75% being low income is just that - low income, the rest of them (families) can make up to 200-300% above the federal poverty level (family of 3 would be about $55,000 a yr give or take and a fmaily of 4 is $64,000 a yr I believe).  I just have a feeling that if my son tries to protect or defend himself next time - that he will be "labeled" and removed from school................. thats how Ludington school system is, I know, I went thru it my whole life - and if you aren't so and so from so and so family, thenu usually get shafted & since his parents work for the school - seems my son will get shafted........ just my honest opinion

Glad you know the daughter in law. She no longer works for Victory. She did not return this school year.  She is now a state licence  private day care provider at her home and just completed her Montessori teaching degree. 

She is very involved with the programs at PM as she does have a 5 year old there.

Since you know the daughter in-law you should talk to her..  She might have some insight to the problem that you are having. She's dealt with it on both sides. Dealing with the aggressive student and the "protective/ignorant" parents. :( 

BTW I was a "other side of the tracks" student from the LAS system. I only know too well where your coming from. 

well you were my brownie/girlscout leader back in the day (my brother hung out with your son)- I grew up on Danaher St -  and always had issues with the school when dealing with other people and defending ourselves all the time - now Mr Dekuiper is in charge of the system (well the superintendant) and we never got along, so we shall see how all this goes.  I see your daughter in law once inawhile, so I'll have to look her up and see what she has to say.  I'm glad she started a daycare - I wanted her to do that after I had my son! LOL anyways - we shall see what tomorrow brings! thanks again

Your welcome. I think most of you "Foster" kids had it ruff once you hit junior high and above.  I'm proud to say you guys turn out pretty da*n good!  You guys all work and didn't end up in jail.  I guess us parents did something right. 

BRAVO guys

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service