For a rescheduled meeting that took place in front of a large group of third graders early in the afternoon without following the Open Meetings Act rules for posting notice, and without an agenda posted anywhere of what was to go forth that day, the meeting had an ambitious docket.  Everything on that fresh agenda went off as planned:  the ordinances passed without any serious discussion, the resolution of fire protection passed, the marina dredging bid was accepted (more on this in a later discussion), the recreation director gave her annual report, three ordinances had their official  first reading.  The mayor mingled freely with the third graders.

Dave Kosla introduced himself to the council (at 32:30 in) and the kids formally, but made sure to keep his message safe during the public comment, and Heather Tykoski did much the same in advocating her latest brainchildren.  But in between the two speakers, there was an odd fellow, me, that spoke of odd things, morality and related stuff. 

Let me start off by saying that I'm no saint, and that if I tried to lecture a group of people on the topic of morality, I would have a hard time propping myself up as the poster boy for the topic.  But that being the case, I should still be able to talk about the subject if I don't paint myself as an archetype of the totally moral and ethical pillar of the community, but instead speak of an ideal which we all can aspire to achieve with due diligence and dedication. 

Otherwise, I come off being as hypocritical as a mayor who talks about following the rules for open meetings before the meeting to the kids, and then later in the meeting when it is brought to his attention that he is in the process of violating those rules, goes ahead and violates the rules anyway (at 39:10 into the video).  Perhaps this comes easy for the City Hall intelligentsia to do, since they have created a policy that can take away the right of a person to attend an open meeting, and did that very thing for 14 months.

But the Monday afternoon meeting which hosted Ludington's Foster School Third Graders, had me scrambling for the proper message and tone for the public comment speech which I have grown accustomed to giving to the city council every two weeks or so.  Unlike all meetings prior to this I have spoken at, there was not an agenda made available, nor did the newspaper print a teaser of what would be discussed at the afternoon meeting.  I didn't want to bring up old material at the only city council meeting that most of these third graders would ever attend. 

So I wanted to make the speech understandable and memorable on a couple of levels, the level that the seasoned city hallers would take to heart, and at a level that may intrigue the third graders into an interest in government, but from an angle that our founding fathers would approve of.  The result was what I think is a little imperfect, but poignant verbal essay on the topic of morality, the individual, and the government. 

My perceptions of the aftermath, was that most of the city hallers took it that I was calling their morality in question, while likely comparing themselves favorably to the speaker on that topic using their own prejudices.  I can hope that I reached across to some of the kids about the topics I spoke of, because they were witness to what will likely go down as a memorable meeting because of the Open Meetings Act violation more than likely to be called to judgment that took place at it, that they witnessed with their own eight and nine year old eyes.  

(33:20 into the video):  "Foster Third Graders and Council members,

In thousands of years before the founding of this country, the accepted rule for governments was to have strong dictatorial kings and privileged nobles use force to rule over the rest of the people.  To achieve peace and prosperity, the vast majority of people gave up much of what we take for granted nowadays as liberty and freedom. 

Those people who felt such practices were morally wrong, were either  imprisoned or put to death to maintain the 'kingdom's peace and prosperity.  Today, we can look at places in the world where such kingdoms still exist.  They are blots on the map where tyrants rule and people suffer under them.  Those 'kingdoms' are neither peaceful, prosperous nor morally acceptable when compared to the rest of the free nations.

The Founding fathers of the United States were convinced that a free society could not exist without a moral people. Just writing rules won’t work if the people choose to ignore them. Today the rule of law written in the Constitution they drafted and the freedoms written in the Bill of Rights they attached has little meaning when viewed absent any morality of the governed.

Our second president John Adams stated:  "Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”  Paramount to the concept of morality is what's called the Golden Rule:  "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."  In other words, treat others as you wish to be treated.  All great religions endorse the Golden Rule, but many of the current laws being made by our congresses in Washington DC and Lansing, and even right here at the Ludington City Hall, fail to take the Golden Rule into account.  Or of the liberties and freedoms that each of their fellow men are entitled to by dint of a set of basic rules created 220 years ago passed onto moral people. 

A society and government that ridicules the Golden Rule and effectively rejects the concepts of fairness and justice-- is not moral.  The same moral standards that individuals are required to follow should apply to all government officials, and all acts of the government. They cannot be exempt. 

Nor is the ultimate solution in the hands of the government.  The solution must fall on each and every individual, with guidance from family, friends and community.  We must change ourselves from within to fulfill  that purpose with hope that others will follow. This is of greater importance than working on changing the government; for if we can achieve this, then the government will change.  As Gandhi would say "Be the Change, you want to see in the world."  Be the change...and work from there.

Yet, this does not mean that an individual should not hold a public office or be active in politics.  Morality won't magically appear or reappear in our government overnight. It does mean that those who seek office should do it for the moral reason of serving their fellow citizens as they wish their fellow citizens would serve them-- given the chance.  When running for office is done for personal fame, money or power, society is not being served, and it is harmful to all.  Each vote done in office should be governed mainly by the question of whether it serves to bolster the morality of society and that it is fair to all. 

Any action of our government in these times, to be truly beneficial to our free society, must have as its aim to maintain the foundations of morality, recognizing that it’s the virtue of the people that allow liberty to flourish.  The people are the lifeblood of this nation, not our governments.  The Constitution and all the laws you can tack onto it, have limited value if the people cannot find a moral ground for each sentence of every public act. 

Foster Third Graders, when we forsake the morality of our people, we then forsake the morality of our government officials, then the morality of our laws, then the morality of our law enforcers, and finally the very morality of our whole society.  What will take its place?  Tyrants offering peace and prosperity, and a new morality that defies reality and reason.  Despots and people of privilege, immorally holding down the dynamic potential of every man, woman, and child in this nation.  A 'kingdom' where a select few hold supreme power over the many.  Do not let this happen here in America.  Thank you" 

I then asked to make a point of order, and was allowed to by the mayor, while I was still at the mike (38:18):  "Section 5(4) of the Michigan Open Meetings Act states that for a rescheduled regular meeting of a public body, a public notice stating the date, time, and place of the meeting shall be posted at least 18 hours before the meeting in a prominent and conspicuous place at the public body's principal office.  

A perusal of the City's meeting announcement board directly behind me had no such public notice at 11:20 AM this morning, or presently, for this meeting.  Hence, to go forth and have deliberations and make decisions on public policy in this meeting would be a direct violation of the Open Meetings Act and I suggest the city council do what's morally right and amend its agenda accordingly." 

The meeting board had the May 20, 2013 meeting taking place at 6:30 PM.  There were no other public postings that rescheduled any city council meeting to 1:00 PM that day, anywhere in the publicly accessible corridors of Ludington City Hall.  And this comment was "duly noted"... and fully ignored for the rest of the meeting. 

Question:  Does this not illustrate best the vacuum of morality that is currently in power at the Ludington City Hall?  Is that the moral of this story?

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice speech X. I have no doubt the 4th graders understood your words  but it might have helped if you had written the speech at a 1st grade level so the poor City Council could understand it. Using hand puppets might have gone a long way in getting  the Councils attention as well. Also handing out lollipops to the Council would have made you the most popular speaker at the meeting.

Willy, that book I read to the councilors on 'good secrets' and 'bad secrets' said it was at the first grade level, and they never figured out how to tell the difference.  Also, you know what would happen if I gave these guys lollipops?  They'd be running around City Hall playing tag, posing a danger to themselves if they fell down.  And I don't want to see Councilor Castonia cry again; it makes me sad.  Apple wedges with caramel dip is the way to go. 

This was a very well behaved Foster School class.  It gives one some hope for the future.

Thank you for asking, EyE.  The action to be taken was put on hold for a brief time; a remedy is being pursued.  We have gotten all relevant documents to go forth in this matter.

Wow. I'm beginning to think your city council only has to answer to a select few, namely, each other?

"Vacuum of Morality" indeed, and still going full speed ahead for another OMA Violation, and perhaps, suit to boot. Lest we forget our mistakes of the past, then we shall repeat them, as someone once said. Another said that an error doesn't become a mistake unless we refuse to recognize and correct them. Obviously, the Ludington city council members do not recognize and steadily refuse to correct their previous and current errors, as they are devoid of any mistakes, perfect in every way, everyday. Pride goeth before the fall, one man stated. These people not only are filled with false pride, in their unholy alliances and actions, but full of BS. They are content in their make-believe world of no moral compass at all. It has gotten them praise, awards, placques, and trophies of fellow admiration to boot, but not the public. Instead of 3rd graders attending something which is most likely beyond their comprehension, I would rather see LHS seniors attending, ones that can think and speak to the council about what they think about local government, and what they as adults would change in the future. I doubt very much the council would allow such young adults that priviledge. It could prove very revealing and also get public comment that they just as soon avoid.

Aquaman, don't forget the Mayor's Youth Advisory Council (also known as the Henderson Youth, no swastikas involved) was made up of high schoolers and featured the three youths of the Hendersons (and several offspring and their friends of other city officials over the years) would help defend the franchise from those of their peers who dared speak up on matters that would make their daddy or mommy look bad.  Besides His Honor could buy them all t-shirts telling them who is foremost in their little hearts:

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service