Ludington Harbor Proposed $590,000 for Dredging in 2016

Manistee, Manitowoc, and Muskegon Harbors Also Scheduled for Dredging

In case you've yet to hear about it in the other local news oubliettes, here is some good news for shipping in the Great Lakes, particularly Lake Michigan which seems to have the lion's share of projects (although not such a share in funds, due to the money-intensive Soo Locks and Duluth projects).  Thanks to Stephen Kloosterman | sklooste@mlive.com The Muskegon Chronicle  and his article Obama 2016 budget: $45 million for Michigan civil works projects at harbors, rivers 

President Barack Obama's Budget for fiscal year 2016 proposes more than $69 million for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects in its Detroit District, which also includes parts of Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

More than $45 million of the total is budgeted just for Michigan locations, of which the St. Marys River/Soo Locks would be the biggest recipient, with $31.1 million, according to the Corps. Other Michigan projects on the list include dredging of the Detroit River, Saginaw River, St. Joseph Harbor, Muskegon Harbor and Grand Haven Harbor.

"We are looking forward to working hard and fully implementing this strategic investment in the development, management, restoration, and protection of the nation's water resources," Lt. Col. Michael Sellers, district engineer, Detroit District said in a news release issued Monday, Feb. 2. "Our projects and the water resources we manage produce jobs, facilitate exports, and contribute to a stronger economy, environment and quality of life for all Americans."

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Civil Works budget funds the operation and maintenance program, which includes the maintenance of federal shipping channels on the Great Lakes, maintenance of federal structures, and the operation and maintenance of the Soo Locks.

Here are the Detroit District projects on the President's proposed budget:

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suppose it needs to be done but when the harbor was dredge out the last time, that darned dredger got in the way of a lot of harbor, Badger, lighthouse and sunset photos.

I took these photos back in 2009

The dredger out by the lighthouse

The sand was pumped over to Buttersville beach which added much needed sand. I'm guessing the tube carrying the sand was at least 1/2 mile long.

All of that sand created more beach but it was soon washed away.

Nice pics and comments willy. I also want to add that Lake Michigan's depth came up about four feet in 2014 over the previous year. It would seem to me to be more logical to get the stats. on the lake levels now, or in the spring after the snow melts down, before dredging again. It may not be necessary. As long as the channel remains at about 28' for the Badger, it's still okay. I wonder how the USCOE qualifies it's dredging decisions, since lake levels are no longer dangerously low as they were between 2007-2013 or so.

One reason I posted this bit of straight news, other than it wasn't being reported elsewhere except Muskegon, was to get some input from those with more practical knowledge of the matter of scheduled dredging, like Aquaman has.  I was aware that the low levels had many of the areas private marinas fretting about what to do, until that jump from last year. 

I would presume for normal budgeting purposes that routinely every few years Lake Michigan harbors get a dredging allowance whether the harbors seem to need them or not, and one would hope that they used the most recent data to make that allowance.  One also hopes that if the harbor needs none or very little dredging due to high lake levels that the unused money may be re-appropriated for other purposes-- but this is the federal government, chances are they used 2013 data and will still use up the $590K.

I saw that happening over at Buttersville a few years back, Willy, and the construction of the sand peninsula.  If I remember, that new beach didn't last very long.  You have to wonder if it's legal and proper to have a company like Sargent Sands to pay for and truck out the sand for industrial use, and thereby help reimburse the dredging effort.

X, I think the sand had to be returned to the lake because of possible contaminants. It was just a little over 2 years ago that the docks and boat launch off S. Madison were high and dry. I'm sure the Climate Change chicken little's were running in circles saying the Great Lakes were disappearing. I took these photos at the end of oct. 2012 and in less than a year and a half the water was back. As Aquaman said there may be no need to dredge.

There may be other Ludington photographers more famous than you, Willy, but I would be hard pressed to say there is any more comprehensive in their local material. 

That bayou looked pretty bare and shabby back then, and I know for a fact that dredging the area is very cost prohibitive because of the need for special containment for the contaminated soil caused mainly by the industries that operated near the area way back in the days of Ludington.  It still gave birth to Ludington's initial and private marinas, which are still vibrant and running despite the City's and State's unfair competitive practices and policies that the two new public-based marinas enjoy.

Last year, the private marinas in the area were hoping to partner with the City (who also owns a boat launch in that bayou) to dredge it, but with the miraculous recovery of the lake that may not be necessary.  However, the bayou is not only dependent on the lake level but also potentially on whether those drainage pipes work properly. 

I comprehensibly thank you for the compliment. I guess my point was that a bid for money was put in when this area was high and dry and by the time the money shows up it's no longer needed. I hope the private marinas can continue to thrive even tho they get the short end of the stick when it comes to receiving assistance. 

That USCOE harbor dredge gets in the way of everyone and everything ingressing or egressing the channel, (except the Badger), the entire time it's here. As for the private marinas, the only part of the stick they get, is a stick in the eye. There is NO financial assistance to any private marinas, never was to my knowledge either. The ONLY ones getting grants and financial assistance, are the huge municipal marinas everywhere. If they had to make it on their own, with no assistance, and no handouts, and no tax exemptions, no kiddy labor, favoritism on gas/diesel purchases, and all the rest of their subsidies, they would be Bankrupt in a few short years! The way they operated for the last 35 years, they can't go bankrupt, it's simply a financial impossibility. Btw, I didn't see Pentwater on the chart for dredging, and they always need it, it's a very dangerous and shallow channel. The chart also reflects that the biggest expenditures are and always have been in the large city areas, irregardless of the needs elsewhere. The "system" has and always will be rigged from top to bottom! Tip of the hat to Willy again for the fine reporting and excellent pictures he takes for us all to share.

The sad "natural phenomena" fact is that we have harsh winters in Michigan. High winds, shifting currents, huge waves, large hostilities on the water for about 6 months, (Nov.-April), of the year. This weather effect pushes the sand at the bottom of the lake, esp. in shallower areas, all over the place. And usually it pushes tremendous amounts of that bottom sand up channels, and the shoreline. Part of that can be seen at any beach where a first and second sandbar are prominent. Then in Ludington, we have to keep a deep channel for the Badger, and shipping lanes. Without that necessary evil of dredging on occasion, the commerce in our harbor would die, and many jobs and businesses would be adversely affected, or go out of business eventually.

Humans have been dredging for thousands of years. The fact that dredging must be repeated on a regular basis shows that in a comparably short period of time a river or harbor will revert back to it's natural state and will show no signs of human interference if dredging is discontinued.

The history and founding of Ludington is directly tied to Lake Michigan and it's access to that waterway. If no harbor existed then the only people who would be living here today would be part time cottage owners and a few shop keepers. Ludington would probably be the size of the Bass Lake area or Arcadia.

You and most likely 90% of those living here now would be living somewhere else. This area would be catering to those that could afford to buy and maintain a second home, not the average person who is trying to eek out a living. The Harbor has helped make Ludington a place where every class of wage earner can call home.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service