Ludington Harbor Proposed $590,000 for Dredging in 2016

Manistee, Manitowoc, and Muskegon Harbors Also Scheduled for Dredging

In case you've yet to hear about it in the other local news oubliettes, here is some good news for shipping in the Great Lakes, particularly Lake Michigan which seems to have the lion's share of projects (although not such a share in funds, due to the money-intensive Soo Locks and Duluth projects).  Thanks to Stephen Kloosterman | sklooste@mlive.com The Muskegon Chronicle  and his article Obama 2016 budget: $45 million for Michigan civil works projects at harbors, rivers 

President Barack Obama's Budget for fiscal year 2016 proposes more than $69 million for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects in its Detroit District, which also includes parts of Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

More than $45 million of the total is budgeted just for Michigan locations, of which the St. Marys River/Soo Locks would be the biggest recipient, with $31.1 million, according to the Corps. Other Michigan projects on the list include dredging of the Detroit River, Saginaw River, St. Joseph Harbor, Muskegon Harbor and Grand Haven Harbor.

"We are looking forward to working hard and fully implementing this strategic investment in the development, management, restoration, and protection of the nation's water resources," Lt. Col. Michael Sellers, district engineer, Detroit District said in a news release issued Monday, Feb. 2. "Our projects and the water resources we manage produce jobs, facilitate exports, and contribute to a stronger economy, environment and quality of life for all Americans."

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Civil Works budget funds the operation and maintenance program, which includes the maintenance of federal shipping channels on the Great Lakes, maintenance of federal structures, and the operation and maintenance of the Soo Locks.

Here are the Detroit District projects on the President's proposed budget:

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why don't you use some common sense and realize that the only way humans can adapt in such large numbers is to alter and use the resources of the Earth. You want to turn back the clock and live in the horse and buggy age. I'd rather have my head stuck in the sand then up Sammy's rear trying to kiss his colon.

The only Humans who think they are in control are the progressive greenies but how do you think the World is going to support the 3 billion people who now occupy it and the future billions to come? Eat berries and leaves? You don't make any sense. Spider in my net? If we could talk to someone who lived in the "good ol days" we'd find out, real fast, why there are modern conveniences, preserved food, refrigerators, modern medicines and more. Life expectancy was very short back then and contrary to what you may think they wanted to live a long and healthy life back then. Infant mortality was very high and children died of many diseases that are preventable today. People can still live like they did in the horse and buggy days right now if they wish but your not going to find many who will do it except the Amish and many of them leave their communities to work for the English.

Beg your pardons guys, but I should insert something here now. The ONLY boating traffic that requires harbor dredging is the large commercial vessels. Charterboats and pleasure boats alike draw 2'-4' of water depth, that's it. Some larger sailboats may draw 6'-9' of water. The Ludington Harbor was created in 1914 if my memory serves correct. The obvious need for this at the time was the increasing carferry service expanding in our area. With a total of up to 11 carferries, plus numerous other commercial vessels for the timber era, later Dow, sand docks, and even now tugs and barges, this harbor must remain deep, like over 20'-25' in depth. Larger commercial vessels are also steel now, not wood, being much larger and heavier than the 1800's. I noted too that in the old 1800's, some larger sailing vessels carrying freight, anchored close to shore and unloaded. There was also some sort of channel going to Buttersville for the timber vessels. In recent years we have also had some Cruise ships come and go on vacations. They too require deeper water to navigate safely.

Good history lesson and boating information aquaman. Do you happen to know how deep the water would have been to accommodate the old sailing ships?

Obviously WIlly, it would depend on the vessel size, amount and type of cargo aboard, also number of crew and passengers. My great grandfather on dad's side had three sailing schooners hauling freight in Lk. Michigan during the 1800's. His ships were 103'-120' in length. They carried a variety of cargos and crews. Just an educated guess would be 10'-12' average draw of water, not the 20'-24' or so the Badger requires when fully loaded.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service