Last spring, unannounced to the public, 17 trees were cut down in Copeyon Park.  While admittedly, a couple of the ash trees removed had evidence of some infestation, most of the trees taken down were healthy, and all were basically in the area where a proposed splash pad was set to be installed.  There was a lot of inconsistencies in the official line that they were all taken down because of disease and had been on the chopping block list for years, claims that were roundly refuted in Clear Cutting to the Truth.

Later that year at a Tree Advisory Board meeting, member Tom Coleman in a rare bit of city official candor, said that the trees were removed to accommodate the future installation of the splash pad, a claim that had been denied by many other officials over the course of the year.  Ms. Seelhoff noted that Coleman's assertion of this 'hidden' purpose had been stronger than the minutes attest.

However, relatively unnoticed at the November meeting of the board was an ambitious schedule of removing trees at another city park.  You will note that in the following order of business, there is no reason given as to why the trees are being taken down, and  the rationale used by member Sharon Bradley-Johnson as to why her list of trees (other than the "plain" tree) would be good replacements.

This entry went unnoticed by me and the other elves that contact me whenever they see the City of Ludington doing things furtively or unethically until yesterday, when a concerned local noticed a lot of tree stumps around the Waterfront Park area, pointed it out.  Although many city officials keep track of the concerned locals website on Facebook, none supplied an answer all day.

When this appeared last night, I looked at the area around midnight, and sensed the area looked more 'open' but couldn't really see much of anything because of the darkness.  This morning I noticed a lot of good-widthed stumps, and went to get my photographer this afternoon, and found there were 15 trees chopped down in the marina area, 13 in Waterfront Park, two on City Marina property.  Here are some pictures of the end results:

Unless I am mistaken with the placements of the trees, here's an aerial view of the thirteen cut down in Waterfront Park:

As you may be able to make out from the overhead view, these were flourishing trees, many chosen about 20 years ago to landscape the park with low-maintenance shade trees.  Most of the species of trees planted were also chosen for their disease and infestation resistance, only to be cut down later on by people who believed that Kentucky Coffee Trees and River Birches would make great replacements for them.  

The whimsy of these people, wasting large amounts of tax dollars in order to justify the existence of this unnecessary group and qualify for their version of a merit badge (the designation by the Arbor Day Foundation as a "Tree City"), is an embarrassment for those who want efficiency and accountability to the people in their government.  As I have maintained since the beginning of the Tree Advisory Board:  they were created in order to eliminate healthy trees and replace them with expensive follies.

They haven't disappointed as Ludington's Tree Ax-visory Board.  Here are links to pictures of the healthy stumps of those trees removed:

w1a.jpg    w2a.jpg   w3a.jpg   w4a.jpg   w5a.jpg   w6a.jpg   w7a.jpg   w8a.jpg

v7a.jpg  v6a.jpg   v5a.jpg   v4a.jpg   v3a.jpg   v2a.jpg   v1a.jpg

Views: 832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Brad.  It is sure nice getting a thank you! But I don't hold out my breath for a kind word or thanks for any alternative view from a majority of the current Council.  At least it would be politically correct to receive some BS every now and then from them.  Oh, that maybe I have, when a couple in particular that tell me not to communicate with them anymore, but then invite me to bring any discussions before the Council meetings.  That sounds politically nice, but I received more demeaning scolding in public that way.  Maybe that was the objective and may be the standard operating procedure to shut the public up from speaking.  Publicly berate, shame, and scare the tar out of them to ever get up and speak again.  I can't imagine where XLFD gets his courage to stand again and again.  

I have always been one to look at the other side, the underdog, the maligned.  At least look at their point of view.  They are people too.  

That brings me to wish a Happy holyday and week for all who believe n the greatest Maligned.

I would like to add to the above comment, in case it looks like I'm completely downtrodden by the CITY COUNCIL that I'd like to thank Councilor Johnson for asking to meet with me regarding concerns I have about city government transparency.  And I'm not even in his ward.  That concern, I believe shows good leadership.

And I see that at the April 3rd meeting the Tree "Ax-visory" board will address notifying the public about tree hacking.  We'll see if they follow thru (and if with honest reasons).

On the other hand, I agree with you, XLFD, that removing healthy trees out of a frivolous whim is excessive and resources should be directed better.  But do we have documentation of the plantings 20 years ago?  Rationale for  removal should be given and justified, because in the end, probably not just "grant" money goes into the works of removal and replanting.  And couldn't some of this be done in smaller portions?  This is maddening from this perspective.  Again, if the TAB is making decisions without Council approval, their minutes should show rationale to the public, I believe to provide transparency.

Thanks dianne. Is the tree advisory board only for advising the City or do they authorize the tree removal. Do you have any information as to how the relationship works between the tree board, the city and the public? What is the reason for the boards existence if the City is going to ignore the public and do as they please without explanation? Most people understand how important landscaping is to the appearance and experience of park property. Why would the City remove most of the trees without explanation? The removal of trees may seem minor to most but this is a perfect example of how convoluted Ludingtons leaders act in regards to the interests of those that elected them.

Thank you, too, Willy for your concern. To answer your question: My knowledge of TAB authority is advisory to the City in regard to what trees would be cut but they seem to hold decision authority in making choices for planting and what to order as this doesn't seem to go to council for approval. If I remember, I think they might have a statement of purpose or some such that they are still working on, that maybe if you could attend a meeting or otherwise write chairman Johnson I would think she would be willing to listen. She did try to answer my questions. In regard to the answer to me about why the trees were cut in Copeyon, she said they had no real authority, but Tom Coleman said the trees had been marked. Who advised this marking and why has not been answered to me. I think Joe Stickney name was brought up to contact about that, but I would think it was authorized by Shay.

Upon my question, Johnson did immediately retort to me, "wasn't the splash pad approved at the time?" Makes me think a few things ... That she also was under the assumption that the removal was for the splash pad.

The LDN or someone who authorized the publication at the time did a disservice to the public with misinformation to pronounce an approval of the splash pad six months before it was approved.  Again, I reply "More information to the public creates less misinformation".  And may I add, the chance to be heard creates a feeling that at least they may be heard which may quell some discontent in the Democratic process."

A quick Google of Kentucky Coffee and River Birch show both of those trees to  create a lot of litter.  I hate to think that is going to add to our DPW load ... More cleanup.   Maybe now that trees are removed we could add a little fountain for the toddlers to splash in!  Just a thought.  And put the 90 foot high Kentucky Coffee trees in Copeyon park so the geese and raccoons could eat the coffee substitute pods.  

Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service