Reader's Digest has had three contests labelled "We hear you America!" wherein they have presented a voting process wherein you can vote for your community, or whatever other community you like.  Ludington finished within the top 50 for the first such contest, and was primed for the second after a couple of mentions in the Ludington Daily News.  But then the Ludington Torch, a fairly insignificant force, decide to throw its support behind our fellow community in Mason County, Walhalla, as was described in this article:  Win Money for Walhalla

Since I was running in earnest for Ludington City Council by the time that contest was finishing, I suppressed the news that Walhalla had finished first in that contest-- for Mason County.  Here's a couple of snippets from that contest towards the end.

This was a couple days before the contest ended, and Walhalla wound up with 11,111 votes and 89th place, Ludington finished in 98th place.  The friendly intercounty rivalry was not without some strife, and there was a little gloating at the end.

But Reader's Digest once again broke out the contest in the latter part of last year, and introduced the concept of unlimited voting.  Again both Ludington and Walhalla folks participated in the rivalry although the banter was much less incendiary on the other side, and the taunts were muted from both Mason County gems.

Today the vote results were tabulated and once again, the good hard-working folks of Walhalla, with the full support of The Ludington Torch, finished on top in a close match, these results being taken last night before the polls closed:

As you can see, Ludington was at a somewhat disappointing 323rd place, finishing well behind many Michigan Cities, including the somewhat disappointing finish of Walhalla at 315th place:

Our new member, R Larry Fitzgibbons, has a right to be very proud of the showing of their home town, another miracle victory by the underdog.  But a look through the big winners of this latest contest has 11 of the first 15 finishers being towns with less than 5000 people.  That's truly a great result, and I hope these towns make better use of such money than our civic leaders would.

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Their still running those things?  I remember Grand Marais Michigan won the first contest and the LDN urging votes about a year ago.  The contest was a popularity contest for the most part G.M. is lucky to have a thousand population, but received millions of votes if I remember right.  After reading the other thread , it looks as if there was a Rom Totta causing a ruckus about things. 

I think the purpose, and correct me if I'm wrong on this XLFD, was to show that the little guy can win with a little determination and fighting spirit.  GM defeats NYC, Walhalla beats Ludington, etc.  An analogy of what he plans to show between him and the hierarchs of Ludington as he takes them on? 

I read the comment next to Maya' Henda'son in the picture above and I thought it was respectful enough.  Why don't you explain the deal with those watertowers, I sure don't get it? 

You sound like you may have been one of those negative posters Dale, because the original post refered to someone named Rom Totta who obviously crossed the line and got thrown out here.  Thats toguh to do.  It looks to me like the little guy is going to win again.

Works for the Democrats. Ssshhhh. Don't tell people about the top secret soup group.

Larry

As far as I know all the groups are open to members of the Torch. You just have to join. I don't think a non member can view the discussions but you'll have to ask X about that.

There were no negative comments made against Ludington, Dale, just against the poor use of public money by the so-called leaders of Ludington.  The RD contest is about getting enough votes to qualify for money to be used for a community project(s).  I and my co-conspirators questioned what such money might be used for.   I think we may have commented negatively on the City  policy of banning someone from City Hall, but otherwise it was "show me (where) the money (is going)". 

If you follow the link back to the original Walhalla thread in the header, you will find just a few of the very personal attacks that were made on me, Shrugs, and Torchers in general on the third page of our postings.  These were definitely negative comments.  The banality of the contest was commented on by my last post on that page.

I think it shows true leadership to be able to lead Walhalla to the 'most popular' town in Mason County for two straight contests.  But being on the Ludington City Council is not about leadership anyway, it's about being a loyal follower to those who hold the real power. 

No, Dale, that's not the City Manager, the Mayor, or even the well-connected businessmen, it is the common citizens.  I believe that, the current crop does not share my view.

Larry,

Probably the most strident post I made was put in the thread head near Mayor Henderson.  You are entitled to think it is a negative post against Ludington, from my viewpoint it's a necessary critique of what our leaders have wasted the resources we have in abundance, and why Ludington should navel-gaze and see exactly what it's doing with our, the Ludington Citizen's and Visitor's,  money. 

Let us not forget, the City of Ludington has over $7 million of the taxpayer's money banked, and thus out of the local economy, so it poses the question:  Do they really need $10,000 more?  Or does a small community like Grand Marais and Walhalla deserve it more? 

Accurate and so true X, but these two or three Stooges, the newbies, like I said earlier, just came upon this particular forum out of the thousands in existence, to join up and make mutual friends......cause they have so much in common......lol. Sure they did! I doubt any can read very good, as clearly and repeatedly evidenced by their willingness to belittle, condescend, and insult everyone in their warped paths of beguilement, while NOT reading the past threads nor posts attached. Hey Guys, ever hear of the book, "how to win-over strangers, and impress friends and relatives"? Methinks NOT SPOILED KIDS! Get some badly needed exercise and build the body and mind too while your not employed, obviously.

Larry,

To be honest I don't know if it was equal or not - but I remember seeing slams against both. Like I said I was embarrassed that adults acted that way - so I avoided it, much like I avoid the Jerry Springer show.

Larry,

The facts are what they are; if you have three people looking at the same data set, you may have three different facts, tempered by their prejudices. I remember our jibes were all based on bad fiscal policy and leadership, but I also remember the incredibly personal attacks they leveled on me and others here at the Torch.

Here is what Shrugs chronicled that was left on the Walhalla page for this contest meant to be a friendly and fun contest between two Mason County towns:

"What you fail to understand is Tom has a limited knowledge of procedure and faulty knowledge of law. Another thing you fail to understand is Tom shows a personal vendetta against Ludington officials. Another thing you fail to understand is many people who live in Ludington do not appreciate an outsider from Custer ranting about how Ludington does things, especially when much of the information presented with the issues is faulty at best. Another thing you refuse to comprehend is people are innocent until proven guilty, and innocent people are not required to come to the torch and answer for faulty accusations. The truth and the torch are two different things." and "Lando, the word is that you live and work in Custer. So who made you the mouthpiece for Ludington citizens? Do you realize that Tom started this Walhalla cheer as a mock toward Ludington, and that none of this tommyrot would be happening if Tom had not previously disrespected the Ludington cheer during the last contest?"

And these were the tame ones.  Can you imagine the uproar if our side had made such statements about Heather and Nick?  Let's be honest, Larry, I point out that public officers Heather and Nick bought a house together, after Nick was granted the $150,000 signage contract from the DLB, a City agency led by his fiance, which he was also a part of.  The records show a large variety of invoices going to Nick's company (located among other places, at Heather's residence) signed only by Heather Venzke.  Do you need to be schooled on the legal ramifications of such unethical deeds?

Those comments were reposted here on the Ludington Torch on page 3 in the link in the thread head to the first Walhalla victory. 

Dale, if you read all the comments during those prior RD contests (and likely posted some yourself), why can't you remember the slams against Ludington, since it obviously made an impression on you?  I know I only commented positively about Ludington, its resources, and its people.  But I freely admit critiquing the kakistocratic government of this municipality.

To be fair - I think there was an equal amount of people posting negative comments about Walhalla also. The whole thing was very childish - and to me very embarrassing that adults could act that way, but that is just my opinion.

Dale, I'm surprised that your friends and family did not get bitter feelings about Ludington City Government wasting $1.2 million dollars on water tower painting, ten years before they needed painting and without any competitive bids.  Just a specious contract that is not even being followed by the Utility Services Maintenance Company.  Or putting nearly one million into a few transient docks at the City Marina. 

If this ruined your enjoyment of the contest, it should have at least enlightened you to those boondoggles of Ludington Government, and spurred you to action to ask them to give some of this spare money they're wasting back to the people, or spend it on public projects that matter.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service