I was recently listening to a debate on most of the health care agenda in which Alan Colmes was trying to point out some poll ( I haven't yet been able to find it) Supposedly implying the reason most Americans rejected Obama Care was that it wasn't liberal enough IE it didn't include a one payer system ( Totally Federally funded). I shook my head in wonder as I listed to him because most of the people I know would see that as unconstitutional esp with a provision saying you must buy it to live here. While I know I am personally quite far right on most issues. How many readers here feel that way , and if so how would you tell the congress to go about paying for this?

You may blast away with lightening bolts at any time now!!!!

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is based on income of everyone in household

Yes, I did a couple years ago, They figure it on household income, so since her dad and I work full time we are above the limits to get it.

I applied back in Novemeber to see if I could get some kind of "spend down" where for example I pay a certain amount and the gov't pays a portion. Even if they were to only pay a few hundred dollars that would be helpful. Another and even more important concern is that if she has no insurance backing up the surgery and something were to get messed up(infection for example) and she had to go back in for more work to be done that they could say they would not do it since there is no coverage.

She hasn't had any ear infections in a couple of years. And her ear popping has subsided since I put a humidifier in her room. But the surgery still does need to be done, but not tomorrow.

AARP is nothing but a front for an insurance company. AARP makes  billions on the back side by selling insurance while putting on a false face as a senior citizens advocate. I would recommend for everyone to drop their AARP membership.

" I would recommend for everyone to drop their AARP membership."

I dropped my membership in AARP several years ago.  No regrets.

We did last year and they are still sending us "reminders" we are expired. The benefits no longer mean much. Hotels and other places offer senior discounts instead of AARP anymore.

Guido,

Though it differs slightly from how you presented it in the thread head, and of course was likely misrespresented by Alan Colmes, here's the data I think he referred to: 

CNN released a new national poll (pdf) this morning, gauging public attitudes on the Affordable Care Act. Not surprisingly, the health care law still isn't popular, but the details matter.

The poll asked respondents a fairly straightforward question: "As you may know, a bill that makes major changes to the country's health care system became law earlier this year. Based on what you have read or heard about that legislation, do you generally favor or generally oppose it?"
Though support has gone up a bit over the course of the year, while opposition has declined, we're still left with 43% favoring the new law, as compared to 54% who disapprove. Steady improvements in the numbers don't change the fact that opponents still outnumber supporters.
But to its credit, CNN asked the much-needed follow-up question:

"Do you oppose that legislation because you think its approach toward health care is too liberal, or because you think it is not liberal enough?"
Favor: 43%
Oppose, too liberal: 37%
Oppose, not liberal enough 13%

Looking back over the results since March, support has gone up four points, while those thinking the law is too liberal has dropped six points, but that's really only a small part of the story here.
The more important element is that the conventional wisdom, driven in large part by Republican talking points, is deeply flawed. We've been told repeatedly that Americans just don't like the Affordable Care Act because they consider it excessive government overreach and some kind of liberal boondoggle.
But for months we've seen results like those from the CNN poll -- opponents of the health care law don't all agree with the conservative Republican line. On the contrary, only 37% of the country actually endorses the right's line and sees the Affordable Care Act as being "too liberal."
So, when you see the top-line results and see that 54% oppose the law, this is not to say that 54% have bought into the right-wing demagoguery and think Republican criticisms have merit. On the contrary, one could look at the same results and say that a 56% majority either support the law or want it to be even more ambitious in a liberal direction.

So Colms is basing his statement on a situation where only 13 % feel the Bill is not liberal enough? No wonder the Democrats got brutalized so bad. If you even and a few fudge factor points to that poll call it 20% and then add the enormously larger numbers that will vote in a Presidential election year unless he snaps so far right it will give them whiplash. The have no chance in 2012.

There will always be aprox 10-15 percent of the electorate that will lean left as it is being pushed into the kids even down to elementary School level. And we know there are many parents that are blind to this fact and therefor do not contradict or offer a differing point of view to the drivel they are getting in schools.

And one might not be too surprised if there are a small amount of conservatives who should oppose Obamacare in principle, but may feel that their personal healthcare issues supersede this ideal (such as ones who can't afford health insurance on their budget, ones with pre-existing conditions, ones who don't think Obamacare is so bad, etc.).  Thus, a significant percentage of the ones in favor may actually think it is too liberal, but look for Obamacare to help them in their situation.

Let's not also forget that 99.999% of the people have not read the details in this bill, so these opinions are based mostly on perceptions, biases, and bandwagons. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service