Time again for the celebration of U.S. Presidents, a National Holiday started some time back to incorporate the famous Washington and Lincoln birthdays once celebrated separately into a single holiday for all the Presidents of the past in February each year.                                         Trivia question #1: Which President served the shortest term in office?                                     Answer: William Henry Harrison: age 68: served 3/4/1841-4/4/1841, just one month.              Trivia question #2: Which President served the longest term in office?                                       Answer: Franklin Delano Roosevelt: age 51: served 3/4/1933-4/12/1945, 12 years 1 month.    Trivia question #3: Which President is the only one to serve (2), two non-consecutive terms?     Answer: Grover Cleveland: age 47: served 1885-1889: & age 55: 1893-1897.                            Now tell me which President is your two favs., one from the past, and one in your lifetime?      My answer: Teddy Roosevelt, Republican, 1901-1909:  Ronald Reagan, Republican, 1981-1989. Both men were strong in the position, were well respected, and made great strides for progress during their terms in office, imho. And both took no crap from anyone!

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aquaman, to answer your Mt. Rushmore question there are six presidents: George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, and the Bushes.

At Keystone S.D., the monument is spectaculor, and is a great symbol of American achievements of over 150 years of Freedoms, Bushes not withstanding. Gutzom Borglam, sp.?, was the architect of this modern marvel, truly a wonder for the eye.                                            Trivia question: whom were the last Presidents to be honored with a vote to increase the monument with 3 more faces on the mountain? Answer: you tell me,  and don't cheat with google either! I'm watching, har.
One hint... when was this vote taken?
Obviously, George was predicting what was to begin in France during the year of his inauguration by those revolting Frenchies.
Later on, a great man named Thomas Jefferson, also a great leader, 3rd President, made some grave errors in his term. He was our instrumental leader/architect in the Declaration of Independence, and that in itself, is a lifetime accomplishment. But his desire to make the Presidency more powerful, via the abolished trade to all foreign nations during the French/England war was a mistake. He also centralized a lot more power to the Presidency itself as the Executive branch, than what he himself wanted and talked about earlier before he himself was President. He also fathered at least 6 children via a slave girl, his own wife's half sister, 4 known to survive, which would be a great scandal now, but not 250 years ago, when leaders' personal lives were private. Any comments by other historians? Thanks.
My misspeak Max.. I knew that but as for ruffing feathers?? I can see why one might see the guy who invited the Japanese empire to expand its reach latter causing us to Bomb them into submission. Good points

Let me see if I got the 1st elected president right here....

John Hanson was the first President of the United States to serve the full one-year term (1781–82)

http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html

The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. This document was actually proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15, 1777. Maryland refused to sign this document until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands (Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land). Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the Revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

I had to think back to the dates for the articles of the confederation Max to figure out what your were getting at here.

In Thomas Jefferson's defense though, he did acquire the Louisiana Purchase from the French, which more that doubled the USA 13 State territory for about $15Million, a large acquisition at the time, but well worth the $$ in the end result. Thus establishing the adventures of Louis and Clark, to scout and establish American rights to the vast Western Territories that were to become our great nation's backbone into the far future. And don't forget Tippecanoe and Tyler too?
Wow, Guido.  I learned quite a bit checking out your link.  A missing link of untaught American history.
It was Max's point really and yeah that link is definitely not something I was taught in school. Max is really like Glen Beck in the fact that, like it or hate it, some history of this country is not quite what it seems.
Pretty interesting link Max and Guido, never knew about prior Pres'. to GW, actually it states there were seven total each serving a 1 year term 1781-1788. Looks like Hanson is actually the Father of the Country, as he saved the new born country from being broken up by the revolutionary soldiers and helped create the new Constitution that we have now. A true milestone in history for the Presidents' story. Big tip of the Hat to you both for award winning investigation. Anyone yet know the other presidents proposed for the Mt. Rushmore monument, perhaps in the early 90's?

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service