Ludington City Council Meeting March 11, 2019, pt. 1: A Splash of Shame

I rarely characterize the way a Ludington City Council meeting goes as being shameful, but the March 11, 2019 did not just have its moments of shame, as many do, but over two hours of it. This article will only cover the main item of the night, a public hearing on a grant.

Early year meetings often have a lot of material, with annual reports from departments, preparatory actions for this year's events, and meeting the deadlines of grants. Tonight would have all that and more, yet there was an extra element this night. Instead of the city hall regulars filling about ten or a dozen of the cheap seats, there was a packed house of over 60. Several of the attendees were not that far out of diapers.

Why all of the youths? A look at the agenda gave a hint; the council would be resolving to approve a MI DNR grant that would potentially provide $150,000 for the splash pad the City is forcing into Copeyon Park. It would have been fine had these kids just been used as window dressing, but the kids would be used as political props, forced to go to the podium and say the lines they were fed. Pawns utilized by the City's grant writer, Heather Tykoski, an accomplished director and performer in local theater herself, to achieve her goal of silencing the large opposition to locating the pad in the smallish, ill-equipped park. These were the Heather Youth:

The use of these kids during the public hearing was bad enough, but it also had one early-elementary-aged girl ushered up to the podium, saying a line or two, then breaking down crying and seeking her mother, the one who allowed her to speak at a scary public forum may have just fostered something the girl can tell her therapist about later in her life.

Heather's directorial talents was on display when the youths hit the microphones. She's to the right again, directing her supporting cast below:

The public hearing started at 9:00 minutes into the meeting's video. Chuck Sobanski, a leading spokesman for the Fourth Ward, led off by declaring no opposition to the splash pad but saying that Copeyon Park is the wrong venue. He submitted an application with 51 signatures against putting the pad in the park.

The two girl contingent went up immediately after with what appeared to be a parent-prepared statement surprisingly in favor of the splash pad. Following were two comments that were amazingly similar delivered first by Christmas Tree farmer, Ben Nickelson, and then by Danny Vargas, both saying how wonderful the pad was going to be and decrying the community's collective resistance to new things.

The main problem with Ben & Danny's theory is that none of the opposition to the splash pad is against it because it is a new thing. They have voiced concerns strictly due to location and the process used to get it rammed into that location. That was made clear in their presentations-- all are fine with having a splash pad in Ludington, they just see a lot of extra problems at where the city leaders and a public-private committee unilaterally decided to put it, and the way the very non-transparent five year process went down.

The crying girl went next, and said a well-rehearsed line or two before running over to her mommy. Can you imagine what would have been said about the parents if some of the dozens of landlords and tenants who came in to argue against the rental inspection ordinance in 2015 had brought in their kindergarten kids and they told the council: "If this passes, mommy says our landlord is going to kick us out of the only home I ever knew, sob, our new homes will be in the, sob, streets. Why are you acting like meanie pantses?" Heather's orchestration of this drama was shameful, the exploitation of the kids was sickening.

Stephanie Reed, the chairman of the Splash Pad Committee (SPC) went next, and she gave a brief history saying how beautiful Copeyon Park looked when they first saw it-- before they massacred about half of the trees, nearly all healthy, to clear out a spot for their pad. This was confirmed by former Planning Commission honcho, Tom Coleman at a Tree Advisory Board meeting. She said she performed a decidedly non-scientific poll conducted outside the Fourth Ward Market to determine, in her words, that the "whole community is behind us". She may want to look at that petition with 51 signatures.

Corrie Brandt, another SPC member went next, and would reiterate that they have spent a lot of time figuring out what they wanted to do with the splash pad (outside of the general public's ability to participate). She was the seventh straight proponent.

Dianne Seelhoff, who lives across from the park went next and mentioned the lack of openness of the debate that led up to getting the splash pad approved for Copeyon. She noted that the 51 signers of the petition would fill the chamber much like it was (the COLDNews estimated there was about 40 people attending).

She was followed by myself, who made perhaps the only argument neither for nor against the pad. Instead I focused on the process which even now was lacking any kind of rigor. I said, with links provided here:

XLFD: "The public input required for this grant is fairly minimal, and yet the grant writer has not afforded the public the ability to look at this application. Page three of the 2019 RECREATION PASSPORT GRANT PROGRAM APPLICATION GUIDELINES states: "The applicant is responsible for providing the public adequate opportunity to review and comment on the proposed application." The minutes of the February 11th meeting, held a month ago, also noted: "The City must provide the public an opportunity to review and comment on the proposed application."
This grant application has not been put in any council packet, nor has it been put on the city website or anywhere else, so I stopped by city hall just after 2 PM this afternoon asking to review the recreational passport grant under consideration tonight.

The clerk checked in back, asked me whether it was in the packets and then asked the grant writer herself, Heather Tykoski. Heather informed her in my earshot, that the application was not finished yet.
One month ago exactly, the council acknowledged the City's duty to provide the public the opportunity to review the proposed application. Yet, we cannot. Furthermore, the application guidelines mandate that adequate opportunity be provided to the public to review this proposed application. Yet, we cannot. Furthermore, the city council has not adequate time to review and consider the grant application in any kind of diligent manner, even if Heather finished it later this afternoon and has it in front of you now. If you decide to vote to adopt this resolution tonight approving submitting this grant application that has had no public review, zero, you will find yourself with very diligent opponents."

When nobody else came to the podium after me as part of the public hearing, Heather marched the girls who participated earlier up and had the mayor acknowledge their bravery in getting up and speaking. Having me get the last word was not in her script, so get those frightened girls back up and be exploited some more.

Heather began speaking, showed a short video of one of the girls being used to market the splash pad at Copeyon, and gave a fine presentation for a couple of minutes with the fib that the project started with the kids, and that it wasn't anybody else's idea. Councilor Serna reminded her that the idea actually originated from the "Great Starts Parent Coalition", and would later claim to be the brainchild of the splash pad (albeit, not a Copeyon Park). But then she went a little off the script, irked a little by my comments or by my presence, I'm not sure which.

Heather: (31:00 in) "There is still three weeks before submission of this; you will get to view the application, no worries, but just to reiterate that this portion of what we are doing tonight is part of that application, so I don't give out incomplete applications to people, sorry.
So once this application is completed, it will be available, you will have three weeks to look at it and review it. That's more than enough time. (Directed) And if that's all you got for tonight, Tom, I'm disappointed."

Mayor Steve Miller saved a potential train wreck by telling her to stay on task, but you heard right. The council invited the public to review the application one month prior, the grant rules stipulate that public input requires that the public have the opportunity to review the application before the public hearing, yet, she somehow thinks the application cannot be reviewed before the public comments on... that application they cannot ever see because of its incompleteness of not having that very public hearing thereon. Can anybody explain that convoluted way of thinking to me?

She would go on later to explain that other portions were also unfinished, when Jefferson Henry effectively asked for some clarification (see 48:30 in). This is just gross incompetence on her part. Maybe if she wasn't making downtown marketing videos each Friday and trying to play act city manager by getting a force majeure declared unlawfully, she would have more time to do the insipid job she landed and the one she keeps through the Peter Principle.

A question by Councilor Johnson stated that four places had been looked at for the splash pad (note, when it came to the council for the first time, Copeyon Park was presented as the only option, so much for public involvement, these decisions and many more were made at meeting non-compliant with the OMA). Councilori Rozell walked a tight line asking questions about parking, accessibility issues, Councilor Serna asked other questions pertinent to some of the issues raised about Copeyon. I appreciated them keeping the grant writer honest and yet still Heather would relate that handicap access would be available through Pier Pointe at the Washington Bridge. Guess again, there is a steep incline and three sets of stairs (in yellow highlight) taking you from Washington into Pier Pointe, and quite a lot of extra space to cover too:

The Mayor opened up the floor again to public comment over anything Heather brought up, and former Mayor Kaye Holman rose with a couple of good points (51:00 in) involving the sparse parking and the need for the Ludington Yacht Club to use those parking spaces over the weekend and the impact of the geese of the area and their droppings. Fourth Warders Sobanski and Seelhoff also made some points regarding dog poop, Pier Pointe's reluctance to serve as an alternate access point, and the lack of handicap access in the backway 'public' route. Jeff Henry asked his earlier noted question.

The last person to talk was Jenna Sanders who said her three children don't really care for the splash pad but they are hyped for the fishing pier. With the hearing over, the city council voted on whether to approve the resolution for the recreational passport grant application that none had yet seen.

And whereas you might think that a group of seven seemingly reasonable city officials would table the vote until the public (and their own selves) was actually given a chance to review the application, and thus have it come back for vote at the next meeting (still before the deadline) for a legitimate public hearing, this council once again, shortchanged the public's confidence in them (if any remains) by unanimously passing the resolution.  Unless they 'reenact' something at the next meeting, this public hearing was invalid for grant purposes, and as I said, the opposition is going to be diligent, and fierce.

Views: 869

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the main theme to most city council mtgs. for quite some time now:"get used to disappointment and illegal acts to vote on". The entire grant here was a pure BS Ludington orchestration of pawns for heart tugging emotions, and a grant app. that wasn't even finalized for the public to view and make inquiries of. And the opposition should be diligent and strong given the facts recorded Monday nite. This video is a prime example of what ramrodding fixed agendas is all about, and hiding the entire details from the public again. Sad and shameful is not harsh enough to suggest the truths on this at all.

The biggest supporters that voiced their comments were from Chicago, Genison, Ft. Wayne, GR, and other places, not even locals. I had some hope that the Mayor was going to start turning things more in favor of locals, making progress for transparency, and keeping order in a positive manner. What he says and has printed in the LDN is certainly NOT what his actions are at all, sad, and another indicator that nothing at city hall is going to change this time around again.

It hasn't gone unnoticed that the main group of supporters of the splash pad and the members of the committee formed are not citizens of Ludington.  They will not see the ongoing ancillary costs the splash pad would create, they likely have no vested interest to those who currently use Copeyon Park for fishing and other quiet pursuits, and have appreciated it's traditional characteristics (shade trees and a waterfront) providing a break from the summer sun and the crowds of the city beach.

Using kids as political pawns, forcing them to stand before a frightening council causing them to cry should be akin to child abuse. I felt terrible for the two little girls.

I think forcing those children to speak backfired like the fake skating rink.  

If the donators really wanted to help this community, put the money toward all the missing links of sidewalks needed for all kids to walk safely.

Pyschological, manipulative, controlling terrorism against children by the parents forcing them to speak.  The children were still crying out in the hall while we waited in silence, no one at the podium for what seemed like a few minutes.  Steve Miller looked stunned and never called order, but then maybe tried to regain control by calling them back and congratulating them which may have frightened them more.  

Thanks Dianne and FS. And you know what? If we adults support this abuse of kids on this subject matter, we are told we are trashing the kids. Unbelievable warped minds that shouldn't be allowed to have kids in the first place, they are the ones trashing the kids, not us concerned adults. Child abuse is a crime!

Yes, Aquaman.  It was a disgusting, pitiful display of controlling manipulation which really seemed orchestrated by the one who kept running to the podium to help the children, probably planned and orchestrated all day.  Maybe if less time orchestrating the meeting, and more time had been spent on finishing the grant for review, the citizens would be less in the dark, but that's where it seems they want to keep us, even in Sunshine Week.  A sad display of openness in government.  

Tykoski is a trouble maker who over steps her bounderies and tries to manipulate people to get her way no matter what the public wants or needs. I guess you could say she's just another abrasive and conniving politician. Where oh where is Mr. Mayors transparency. Kind of fogged up didn't it and so close to sunshine week? Geeze Mr Mayor you did boast about having an open Government didn't you so, I ask you, where is it? Certainly not in Ludington. Tykoski's statement "Tom I'm disappointed" is so snotty. If your disappointed Heather just think what many of Ludington's citizens are thinking now after that outrageous display you put on. Obama would have been proud of you because he would parade a stream of victims in front of the camera's just to put on a show. Heather is one of those nonnelected controlling bureaucrats who takes every opportunity to stick it to the tax payer. If she were in Washington she would epitomize the position of a deep stater. And what can be said about the Clowncil voting on an incomplete proposal. Will it never end?

Another great job X.
"

One more thing. Who will be using the splash pad? Most of the younger children have parents that work so how do they get to pad and who will be watching them. Most of the usage of course will be tourists. No surprise there. Also, I've said this before, the City needs an engineering report on that access road because of it's incline and increased traffic flow. There may be many regulations that come into play if usage of the road is increased. I sure hope that pedestrians will have their own access away from the traffic.

I agree completely about the dangers of kids getting down the hill. The one little girl crying at the meeting on the promo tape in a better mood gleefully talked about riding her bike to the splash pad. What was she about eight years old, naive of the dangers of the semi truck route on S. Washington and Abrahamsons oversized tow rigs coming up and down that hill. and yet her parents who are entrusted to protect her, allowed that tape to be made as a promo misleading all kids that they can just ride their bikes down to the splash pad. It's just disgusting the lack of thought that shows in this project.

The good thing about the road is that it is perfect for fishermen who stop at the crest, get out and remove their drain plug to drain their boats after fishing..

The hill into Copeyon Park may have the steepest graded street in Mason County as its sole access point, about the only thing that comes close that I can think of is the private street on the nearby hill just east of the entrance to Oxychem.  I recall strongly cautioning a savvy 10 year old boy on a kid's bike to ride his brakes down Copeyon hill for safety.  But he didn't, he fell and hurt himself pretty badly about midway down.  If the splash pad goes in, the traffic going in and out for a warm humid weekend day on this steep narrow street will have so many hazards, particularly when people drive in find no parking spots, then go out and park on the nearby street.  The notes from the 8 non-open meetings of Ludington standing committees do not address many of the valid concerns raised since the plans have become public.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service