The reason I made this a topic is because of the potential cost for any damage / repairs to infrastructure. If the water continues to rise and there is severe ice damage this winter we may have to open our pockets and add to the tax coffers.

I played hooky today and spent some time taking photos. I first went to Little Sable Point. I fear the light house there is in peril. I would hate to see it damaged or destroyed. Many homes along the Lake are in a serious situation of being destroyed if the erosion continues.

Next I visited the boat ramp parking lot and Ludington Ave beach, then the City Marina. All had issues with high water. The following photos are a small fraction of what I took. I didn't include the new construction at Ludington ave beach because all there was to see is water.

Little Sable Point lighthouse. If this lighthouse does not make it thru the winter we will be losing a major tourist draw and a lot of history. I hope there is something in the works to protect this monument to maritime history.

Boat launch parking lot takes a real beating when water is high because the waves crash against the breakwater instead of scraping the sand bottom. The breakwater can take only so much pounding without significant damage.

City Marina docks and the walkway are being damaged as we speak from high water. If the water doesn't recede then the next problem will be the damage caused by ice which could possibly cost a fortune to repair.

Views: 11593

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Freedom Seeker and thanks for the information on Great Lakes levels.

you're welcome, Willy.  This article has nearing 8100 views and nearly 300 shares.  Maybe the State of Michigan will take note of what happens to grant dollars in a community where the project is ramrodded through against the wisdom of many longtime locals.  Who will pick up the cost of repair and maintenance?  Probably not the State.  It will be the taxpayers,  already struggling with $60 some million in recent infrastructure bonds, $100 million in new school bonds and now the "depressing" news has just come to the attention of some council members that we will have another huge debt and water increases to replace lead goosenecks even though XLFD has been speaking and writing for years and he has been ridiculed. 

Besides the enormous amount of rain, snow now, and other precipitation this year, some other factors may be playing into this equation. Since over 32 years of being a USCG Capt. on Lk. Michigan, I have been told that in the spring each season, Lk. Superior lets down water to Lk. Michigan. I assume that also happened this year too. However, Lk. Michigan also lets water down to Chicago/Mississippi River each early fall, around mid-September usually. That was reported as not happening last year nor this year. When asking around for answers, I was told it was not done because of the fear of Asian Carp getting into Lk. Michigan and ruining our fishery. These factors, imho, certainly play a significant role in our current lake level problems, and will not change for the better if this stance doesn't change soon. I would hope some netting system/strainer system could be installed in the Chicago locks that would catch the Carp to be released down river.

good points, Aquaman.  I was wondering if some water could be sent down the Mississippi.  The property damages will probably have to get worse and affect some lawmakers or their cities before the government took that kind of action, unfortunately.  I like the idea of catching the carp.  They make excellent fertilizer and cat food.

The releasing of more water down the Mississippi isn't a cure all. It affects everything down river also with high water levels causing flooding  and when the extra fresh water gets to the Gulf it kills off the salt water sea life . Dauphins, Shrimp and Oysters were some that were really hit hard this year along with the fishing industry.  Also, I think there is some Federal law stating how much water could be released out of Lake Michigan.

The Oglala Reservoir has been pulled way down by pumping for soybeans & Corn. Our Midwest could use this water.  But could it ever be shut off?  Water is abundant in Michigan now, but other eastern river systems are being robbed for drinking water by Atlanta.  Nestle is doing its best to expand and to damage the Suwannee river basin and drying up natural springs as I write this.  This now-abundant natural resource may not last forever. 

Ogallala, Nebraska. Been there. Didn't know their reservoir also was going dry. We should shut down plastic water bottle operators.

Right now it is the total opposite.  Normal fresh water passing to the Gulf is critically necessary to maintain brackish water fisheries, clams, oysters, some immature fin fish.  Salt kills them. Also Red tide, bad again now. in Florida.

Good points, Stump. Maybe we could run a flexible pipe out to Lake Mead.

Lake Mead sure could use a lot of water , I was surprised how low it was 2 years ago when I was out there. Didn't look anything like that 25 years ago  On the Water flowing from the Mississippi river into the gulf, 90 to 100 % of the oyster beds have been killed off from the huge amount of fresh water entering the Gulf this past spring. You can look that up for the facts. Fresh water is always flowing into the Gulf mixing with the salt water. Sea life requires a certain amount of salinity and if that changes they die.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/environment/once-we-hit-climate-ti...

Once We Hit Climate 'Tipping Points' There May Be No Going Back.  Global warming could push ecosystems into collapse sooner than scientists first predicted. (from Discover magazine)

This URL is a plea published in the journal Nature for concerned readers to understand that climate change may be more like a leaking hole in a large dam. (It looks like you can fix it or me, or maybe others if they feel a little worried..... But these are very dangerous holes in the largest dam we can see, and it is very close to our home, and is VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.  Running cars, trucks, then buses, then ships into this large hole is futile).  I am an organic chemist, and I know how to put organic molecules together for mankinds' use.  But to burn these wonderful, valuable long carbon chains that are good for so much, like lubricating oil, into CO2 that overfills our atmosphere is really stupid and shortsighted.   Hopefully the next generations of Humans will be able to reverse this wasteful, criminal horror, good only for filthy rich owners of Oil stocks. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service