FEMA office on Staten Island closes 'due to weather'

Thank god those people are not starving and have power... oh wait... they are starving and don't have power.... and FEMA people can't take a little bad weather, sucks to be them.

Looks as if FEMA is just a fair- weather friend.

Yesterday’s nor’easter proved too much for the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s aid location in Tottenville, SI — which hung a sign reading “Closed due to weather” as the wintery storm blew into town.

Ten FEMA centers in the area reportedly suspended operations because of the storm, although the location with the sign at the Mount Loretto Community Center did open at noon.

HUH? This sign on the door of a FEMA center in Tottenville, SI, yesterday speaks volumes about the conditions there.
NY Post: Chad Rachman
HUH? This sign on the door of a FEMA center in Tottenville, SI, yesterday speaks volumes about the conditions there.

Views: 657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well then Lisa, I am sure your inside knowledge is valuable cause you are right there at the disaster zone, or real close, so that makes your insights credible, or do they? Your input here at this forum looks to me like you didn't get hurt much at all, you posted without electricity for your computer, yeah, right, and had your roof taken off, and are at gas lines for 4-5 hours? I really doubt that! In fact, most NYC people don't even own cars, they walk or take taxi's due to traffic and insurance costs, not to mention parking fees way out of line. It looks more to me like you still want to reinforce and support failed Federal programs of FEMA, that of not supporting their main purpose, or what I would interpret their purpose to be, not that of just paperwork, but support and help for those in a disaster area. And Willy, I totally concur, not to undermine FEMA, but to spank their BUTTS, cause that is the case here. This isn't more of wait, I gotta pull up my reigns cause I need security too, it's a horrific human tragedy that presents itself during a natural disaster, and if FEMA can't answer the call with calm and support, wth good are they anyhow? Just another Fake program to make things seem better, when the Red Cross and many other disaster type agencies are there now, making a difference, and saving grace, by God, and by Faith in their own actions, not in-actions reflected in  realities of life. Shame on the FEMA organization, it's another agency we don't really need, due to failed policy and procedures, which obviously, are to protect themselves first, and let the chips fall where they may, disgusting, and quite futile in every way, imho. Good and valid thread Dave, as usual for you, thanks.

That's not the point. Are you saying that is the only thing the FEMA offices do is register people who need assistance? They don't direct people to areas where they can get immediate help and make sure the people get that help? During an emergency how do people let FEMA know they need help If the office is closed? Who do they talk to? If all they are is an office to take your information why are there so many of them? Are they open all year long or just during "emergencies"? If only during emergencies then why are they closed? Your example of 1 hospital makes no sense. Every hospital has electrical back up and it's rare that will go out. They must have had them in a vulnerable location. Where did they evacuate them to, a FEMA office? No they took them to another hospital where there is a 24 hr emergency room.

Here is a link that posts vehicle registrations in NYC as of 2011

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/Statistics/regin11.htm

NYC - 1,961,328 - and that doesn't include Nassau and Suffolk county on Long Island where a good percentage drive and work in the city, others take mass transportation. It also doesn't include cars plated in another state. So Aquaman your theory that no one has cars here, has absolutely no merit.

At no point did I ever say my roof was tore off, I do have a limb that broke off on the front of my house, I was without electricity, heat for 6 days, and without internet access (at my home) for 11 days. I also never stated I was at gas lines for 4-5 hours. For the most part I have been fortunate in the gas department - my car gets excellent gas mileage 1 day I was running low so stayed in a hotel by work, the next day the company I subcontract for had a delivery and I filled up there. But yes there were lines that people waited in for 4-5 hours.  You and willy have such a myopic view that nothing would ever change your way of thinking - I actually feel sorry for the both of you.

Lisa

A person doesn't have to be in a hurricane to know that a powerful one will remove all the leaves from trees. I guess Sandy just wasn't that powerful. I'm surprised you used that liberal comment regarding anyone who has a differing opinion from you is "myopic" and deserves your sympathy. You can do better than that. I have my opinion on FEMA and so do you. Anything the Feds control usually turns to sh_t and the fact that an agency created for "emergency" situations and that has "emergency" as their name and whose duty is to respond to "emergencies" should not close their doors during an "emergency". Being myopic is a good thing. it gives me the ability to temporarily overlook the failings of leftists and still have a nice day.

Obviously you don't know as much as you think you know. Yes there are still leaves on the tree's and if your under the belief that it wasn't that bad you should take a road trip and visit Staten Island and the other hard hit areas. Your amazing insight from over 800 miles away is laughable at best.

Lisa

Sandy made landfall on the U.S. east coast with maximum sustained winds of 80 mph, which made it a category 1 hurricane. And as everyone knows when a storm hits land the winds diminish. I'm not saying it was not damaging, I'm saying it was not a very powerful hurricane as hurricanes go. We've had wind speeds near or at hurricane strength here in the Ludington area several times in the last 10 years or so and I have the downed trees to prove it but the leaves were not blown off the trees because the winds were not strong enough. A truly powerful storm will strip leaves off trees as the hurricanes listed below did.

1969 - Camille - 190 mph sustained winds
1980 - Allen - 190 mph sustained winds
1950 - Dog - 185 mph sustained winds
1980 - Gilbert - 185 mph sustained winds
2005 - Wilma - 185 mph sustained winds

***Footnote*** The 1935 "Great Labor Day Hurricane" has been estimated by some as having 200 mph sustained winds for at least 1 minute, but none of the major weather sites verify this. ***

***Footnote*** Hurricane Camille was estimated to have 200 mph sustained winds. The highest gust recorded was 213 mph which broke the instruments used to measure the wind speeds of the storm. Camille had at least 185 mph + sustained winds, but most of the era's recording instruments were not calibrated for wind speeds above that level, and many were destroyed.

***Footnote*** At some point during their development, the category 5 hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma (2005) each had recorded wind gusts 200 mph or higher. Hurricane hunter aircraft recorded a gust of 235 mph within Rita.

You can laugh all you want, probably because your wrong. I've noticed the people living in the Northeast magnify everything that happens to them and somehow think they are the only ones who have experienced major weather conditions. That's probably because most of the liberal media is stationed there along with all those liberal citizens who think the tough times they face are tougher than the rest of the Worlds experiences. You certainly sound like one of them.

Are you serious at no point did I ever say this was the worst hurricane ever, nor did I imply it. All I did was point out that during the Nor Easter (when the FEMA offices closed) tree's limbs were falling because of the heavy snow and it wasn't safe to be on the streets for either the workers or the citizens. You are the one who proceeded to tell me there shouldn't have leaves on the tree's because of the hurricane. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdWfaNACgE

Here is a link to CNN broadcasting the day after Hurricane Katrina - take a look at the tree's they still have leaves also.  You are right I am laughing at your continued ignorance.

" A truly powerful storm will strip leaves off trees as the hurricanes listed below did. " - you listed Hurricane Katrina. 

Face it you you have absolutely no knowledge of what you are trying to prove, and are only looking foolish.  But like the say small towns, small minds - which you are proving.

My dear Lisa, since when do you interpret me saying NYC doesn't have any cars?: my gosh, you have 9 Million+ people there, and less than 2 Million registered vehicles, that's only 1 out of 5 persons, or less for those with multiple vehicles, that's not much per capita. Mass transit has long been the choice of all big city people that live in any city, it's not rocket science. I have a link to this FEMA fiasco, but am having a hard time locating it right now. As for hurricanes, I've been thru 4 in Fl. in my life, all bad, add another 2 here in Mi. including Sandy in Ludington, we had it bad here too my dear. And as for being myopic, yes, I am nearsighted, don't need reading glasses, but with my RX goggles on, I can see for miles and miles....lol. Meanwhile, enjoy the NY fishing video.

Attachments:

Here it is at last, couldn't add it to last reply, but, it's a shame and crime to say the least in this type of scenario. Sorry, but FEMA is a joke imho.

Attachments:

Lisa

I never said that you indicated Sandy was the worst storm. I was surprised that leaves were still on the trees since Sandy was supposed to be a powerful storm. And I didn't say that  trees shouldn't have leaves on them, I said a powerful storm will strip leaves off trees I didn't say all of the trees in the entire path of a hurricane which can be 600 miles wide. Your video is of a small area of a large storm. See the videos below of the aftermath of Katrina. There are some places with barely a leaf on any tree. By the way if you want to start throwing insults into our arguements I will be more than happy to oblige you. You remind me of the nasty poster who was kicked of the LDN forum because she couldn't argue a point without throwing around insults. Could that be you?

Aquaman

That video is insane. Some of those people are as crazy as we are. I found the long version of that video which is posted below. Thanks for the laugh and thanks for the FEMA post.

The June storm of 2008 that brought in heavy rains and winds of 80 mph to our small town area of Mason County did its share of damage.  We lost a whole lot of bridges, lot of things were blown over and flooded.  We bounced back with little fanfare, federal help-- I don't remember FEMA in the area to any extent.  

I would rather rely on the local police and fire departments and state agencies that handle this stuff everyday, than some federal  agency whose main purpose is to create avalanches of bureaucratic paperwork and make all local disasters into national disasters, to create the impression that the President at the time actually cares.   

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service