Tonight I was down checking out the Washington Bridge work while heading back home around 11 PM when I started hearing a bunch of sirens.  A police cruiser zoomed down Dowland going exceedingly fast towards my house's direction.  Relieved that my interest in the bridge was not the source of the commotion, I wandered up to Dowland Street where I saw another two fire officers heading that way with their own personal vehicles. 

It was kind of scary because they were slowing down right before my house, and turned up the street.  By the time I got to the street corner myself, I seen the group towards the front of 506 George Street, the house in between Melindy and Danaher Streets on the west side, which normally looks like this when viewed from the northeast:

But of course it was dark, and it was on fire so it more looked like this viewed from the south:

I heard the sound as if someone was calling for help, as did other neighbors, but it seemed like forever before the first fire engine arrived, the flames self-ventilating the window shown.  Other neighbors commented that the person who lived there was known to have fireworks and guns there and was allegedly a smoker.  It sounded like a tricky combination.  There is no word whether there has been any fatalities, but from the quick placement of the yellow tape, and some of the radio traffic, there may have been. 

Scarily, this has been the second fire in my area in the last month, both originating at around the same time of day.  This one happened on May 17, just up Melendy Street less than a block away.  It bothers me a bit that I can't help out my neighbors anymore when something like this happens.

Here's the specs on the house courtesy of the Ludington Assessor, 506 George Street

Views: 1049

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ludington Daily News and Mason County Press are both reporting that someone died during the fire.  It is unfortunate that the person wasn't able to get out, especially because there have been multiple reports of neighbors hearing him calling for help.  I pray for the victim's family along with the firefighters, police officers and other first responders who were at the scene. 

If I wasn't such a late arrival to this fire, I might have tried to play the hero.  But after the LFD chief and Captain and police arrived it seemed like ages before the first fire truck arrived.  During that time the yells for help subsided, and you have to figure, whoever he was,  he was overcome by smoke. 

It's too bad our officials are once again playing information games, WMOM reports a couple of brothers lived there, but we don't know who succumbed, or even if anyone succumbed yet.  Patrick Martin of WMOM is there now, saying (at least) one person has died.

MCP reports that Ludington resident Tim Mohr, 45, was the fatality in the fire last night. http://www.masoncountypress.com/2013/06/20/ludington-man-dead-follo...

After pictures of the fatal fire, taken this morning around 9:00 AM:

On TV 9&10 they have a link to contribute to the family financially

Yeah, I remember a chance encounter with the Mohr's some years back when I had a truckload of lumber to unload. Tim quit after about an hour of work, then wanted to claim a back injury for workmen's comp. when he was just hired for cash casual labor. I believe he was on gov't. financial assistance too, as well as a druggie to boot. RIP Tim, you need the vacation. Later, I and another man unloaded the lumber ourselves by hand for many hours, and I didn't whine about the hard labor either, even though I was 15 years older than Timmy.

EyE, you better check with the Mi. Dept. of Labor on that before you paint yourself into a corner. However, knowing Mi. laws, they probably don't save records back that far, nor might they say as this might violate the privacy act laws. I do have an eye witness yet too that can verify my story, but it's a moot point at this stage anyhow. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

There has been a couple of funeral receptions I went to where the people who died were by no means paragons of society, in fact, quite the reverse in my opinion.  Even though many people in attendance at those receptions could have spoken ill of the dead if they had wanted to, they stilled their tongue or maybe even spoke fondly and approvingly of them.  There's nothing wrong with that.

But for some folks at such funerals, it can reach a level where you elevate the most unrepentant sinner into the most beatific of saints.  It can be hard for some to take, and sometimes someone does reach that breaking point where they have to set the record straight. 

Aquaman apparently had some bad experiences with the man, and made some presumptions of him because of that.  Making a presumption about his source of income and habits was a bit over the top on his part, but so is making Aquaman out to be a low life just because he may have offended others who had a different opinion than his about the deceased.     

Who says freedom of speech is alive and well? Streeter, mind your own business, I have my rights, so do you. I simply stated a fact, of which you and many others apparently have no idea of. It was a reflex response, perhaps ill timed, of a bad memory of long ago. I hope his daughter is successful too. I still say RIP Mohr, and that's it.

Whether a person is with us or gone does not alter a truth about that person which was personally witnessed by another. Timing of statements is important though. I have never known Aquaman to deliberately lie and just because someone disagrees is no reason to take offense. I didn't know the man and wish his family the best.

AQ just doesn't have a highly tuned mind to mouth keyboard filter. And so comes off sounding like a skunkbag a lot of the time.

I have to agree with those who think dissing (whether true or not) the deceased on a public forum is a disrespectful and rude to the family that survives.

If we were talking about a politician then that may be a different story, but some random guy that most people don't know, well, it's just a bit asshole-ish.

Thank you Jane, I totally agree?

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service