Ludington City Council Special Meeting, Sept. 30, 2024: Welcome Waggin' for the New Manager

The agenda packet for the September 30, 2024 special meeting of the Ludington City Council showed that it was for one purpose only: to formally hire and approve the contract for who would be the next city manager of Ludington, Kaitlyn Aldrich.  The venue for this meeting was the 'Community Room' in the city hall basement for some reason and held at 7:30 PM, and yet about ten members of the public, including Ms. Aldrich (shown below), attended.

Knowing that this meeting would likely not be recorded and deal primarily with the city manager recruiting issues, the Ludington Torch took this not only as a transitional moment in city leadership, but in the way we address the council from here on, or at least until they figure out that they need to respect the voice of the people once again, to earn the respect they feel they deserve, as expressed by Councilor Stibitz and Mayor Barnett at the last meeting.  

This will be a notable demarcation from how I've addressed the council over the past 14 years, where I have been critical at times, firmly set in opposition to policy and corrupt actions, but respectful of polite decorum in hope that officials would solve problems rather than create or worsen them.  As part of that, I used stronger language than usual and didn't bother to try and fish for their empathy or sympathy for our citizens; they have shown over the last two years they have neither, just antipathy, apathy, and some sociopathy. 

Why the change in address?  For one, the current regime needs to be challenged, at all levels they have created a climate that is totally inconducive to public debate and progress; it's not only undemocratic it's unrepublican.  For another, their decision to use baseless lawfare against me in order to threaten my freedom and reputation.  Their own version of Fanny Willis is set to charge me with two misdemeanors on Thursday, and with the corruption at the courthouse in full flower, the outcome may fall outside the bounds of justice.   The infamy needs to be broadcast and met with the contempt it deserves.

So as the meeting convened and they dispensed with the normal order of business, this reporter rose first and addressed the officials in this new era of communication.  I was definitely wearing "the shirt":  

XLFD:  "At your last meeting, Mayor Karl Marx Barnett asked me to consider wearing a different shirt than this to the next meeting, and I seriously considered it-- until the last part of that meeting.  First, a councilor ignored the content of my two comments in a totally passive aggressive manner, by mentioning how she appreciated the three other citizens who spoke at the meeting.  I'm so glad she's not teaching civics to my child, they would wind up a neutered sheep like her if I didn't take corrective action.

Then Mayor Marx got out his chocolate cake and figuratively tried to shove my face into it while admitting he was so triggered by this shirt that he couldn't even remember my first comment but for two words, while saying how wonderful the First Amendment was.  One should not hug the First Amendment while at the same time telling it to shut the Hell up. 

My shirt printed to celebrate a failed assassination, shows Donald Trump with his middle-finger extended saying "You missed, bitches."  I've wore it many places, it always gets a laugh and starts positive conversation, except in this chamber.  It echoes my message to city leaders who almost had me killed when they hired, without a contract in place, USDA sharpshooters to take out deer at Cartier Park in the middle of the night-- at least that's what we were told on multiple occasions.  In broad daylight, against multiple park rules, they started shooting in close proximity to me while I was in the park.  I was lucky, this city was lucky, that I did not get shot that day due to the USDA and city's gross negligence.  

Yet I can't help feeling that several city officials are saddened by the fact that their pest removal squad failed to bag THIS magnificent stag, so I feel the need to regularly remind you that you had your chance, and you missed-- bitches.  [Turning around] Welcome to Ludington, Kaitlyn."  [END comment]

Former Councilor Jeanne "Hoax" Oakes, serving unlawfully as 'interim city manager', asked me whether I wore 'the shirt' to church.  I replied no-- but maybe if it had a collar...

Chuck Sobanski fully relishing his Fourth Ward mayor status. went next, after I dropped the mike to him, and welcomed the new hire also and noted she had big shoes to fill.  Honestly, those shoes contracted in size over the last year, so hopefully her feet will be too big for them.  Jefferson Henry finished out, letting the council know that he supported their choice whatever that might be.  

And it wasn't a guarantee; Aldrich wasn't a unanimous choice in the sept 14 special meeting where three candidates were considered.  Councilor John Terzano and Wally Cain both voted against her then, Terzano did the same on this occasion, later explaining that he accepted the rest of the council's decision and affirmed his vote would not affect his future relations with her in achieving the best for the city.

They would all approve the $120,000/year contract which was made to end in about fourteen months after beginning on November 11th, 2024.  More details are found in the meeting packet, but it all seems to be a bit tentative and one wonders why it doesn't go at least until the end of 2026, since she would be dealing with the same council she would deal with in 2025 (barring vacancies).  

After they patted themselves on the back for clearing out the southbound lane of Rath Avenue then adjourned, I was able to meet for a short time with the future city manager in a pleasant visit where I told her my youngest daughter had the same name as her, and she shared some of her own child-rearing stories.  I couldn't help but wonder if our mayor hadn't chosen her above others because he thought that he could easily dominate her as far as Ludington's power structure is set up.  

One strong perception behind what made former city manager, Mitch Foster, move on was the power struggle happening behind the scenes (and sometimes openly), which made Foster buy into unpopular projects (like the deer cull, for example) he would not otherwise support as an intelligent use of resources.  Wiil the new city manager be able to survive 14 months of being bludgeoned by the mayor flexing his mandate with a continued disregard for the laws when applied to the city?  Will her character survive given all of the political infighting and outfighting at city hall?  Stay tuned. 

Views: 614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dunno. Looks pretty young and inexperienced to me.

That was among my impressions, though impressions can be wrong.  

I and another learned party I talk with believe the city manager type that the council would pick depended on whether the mayor would take an active part or not. 

Had the mayor not been involved, I think the council would have been more likely to pick a "Clarence Goodlein" tyoe like Scottville did, a wise, weathered veteran experienced in running a city and dealing effectively with noise from mayors and citizen activists as it comes up.  

But we believe the mayor was involved and so he would be interested in someone who could be controlled and used as a pawn in his various political games.  A "Courtney Magaluk" type would fall in perfectly for that, and I fear that this dysfunctional group of elected officials will follow Scottville's lead if she falls out of favor with the mayor or office staff for having too much ethics or work ethic.  I'm thinking there's a good chance she won't ring in the new year of 2026 as our city manager, just because there's a lot of poison in the system right now. and a lot happening in the background.

Well done X. Of course we all know they will next try to ban political T-shirts. And what you stated will be considered hate speech and you will be banned from using any and all transgender Ludington bathrooms. Also, we are now ready for Ludingtons next attempt at how to suppress  the voting class.  Barbie Power and her new adventures. Go Barbie, Go Barbie!

Tone and Maturity
The tone is excessively confrontational and juvenile, akin to a petulant child throwing a tantrum. Instead of offering constructive criticism, the author resorts to name-calling and hyperbole, referring to the mayor as “Karl Marx Barnett” and using derogatory terms like “neutered sheep” to describe council members. This approach not only undermines their credibility but also alienates potential allies who might share their concerns. Such behavior reflects a lack of maturity and a refusal to engage in meaningful dialogue.

Lack of Substance
Rather than focusing on the qualifications and vision of the new city manager, the text fixates on personal grievances and past incidents, such as the deer culling controversy. While personal experiences can be powerful, they should serve to enhance an argument, not dominate it. The author’s fixation on past slights distracts from any real discussion about Aldrich’s qualifications or the direction she might take the city, leaving readers questioning the author’s priorities.

Desperate for Attention
The use of a provocative T-shirt and an aggressive style of address seems less about genuine protest and more about self-aggrandizement. The author appears more interested in being the center of attention than in fostering a productive discussion about city management. This desire for notoriety undermines their claims of advocating for the community, making it seem as though their primary goal is to vent personal frustrations rather than engage in civic improvement.

Oversimplification of Issues
The author oversimplifies complex political dynamics, reducing serious governance issues to personal attacks and insults. The dismissal of council members as “sociopaths” and the alarmist tone regarding the city’s leadership only serve to amplify divisions rather than encourage collaboration. This perspective is not only unhelpful but counterproductive, as it fosters an environment of hostility rather than constructive engagement.

Conspiracy Theories and Hyperbole
The text hints at conspiratorial thinking, particularly with references to “baseless lawfare” and the notion of a “climate that is totally inconducive to public debate.” Such statements lack factual backing and contribute to an atmosphere of paranoia rather than reasoned discourse. The author’s fixation on perceived threats to their freedom and reputation detracts from any legitimate criticisms they might have about city policies or practices.

Conclusion
In summary, this commentary is a disappointing display of petty grievances and personal attacks that does little to advance the discourse around local governance. Instead of providing a thoughtful critique of the city council and its new manager, the author has opted for a self-serving diatribe that prioritizes sensationalism over substance. If the goal is to inspire meaningful change in Ludington, a more mature, reasoned, and constructive approach is necessary.

You are very entertaining, Rom TottaM, but you got to live a little bit more and understand that I had my own agenda at the meeting.  I'd like to address some of your topics, most are misguided, but I will only correct a few. 

"Karl Marx Barnett" is incredibly appropriate as written about in this essay: "In temperament, Marx could be cruel and authoritarian. He treated people with whom he disagreed in a crude and mean way, often ridiculing them in public gatherings. Marx had no hesitation about being a hypocrite".  Describes Hizzoner to a 'T' from my dealings with him.

I may sometimes personalize issues, particularly when I'm wearing the target.  I don't see it as self-aggrandizement, but as protection of others who have the same issues and choose to not wear the target.  

Your other characterizations are way off, and if you missed it, starting this meeting I am demarcating myself from my prior civility with the current council.  The gloves are off, and whereas I will use appropriate nicknames, an occasional cuss word, poignant signs, and background music during my comment, I will still refrain from doing personal attacks not relevant to their public service.  There's enough material there.  

Did you happen to notice that the baseless lawfare launched by city contractor Beth Hand could land me in jail for over four months and cost me $750 for almost being a victim of the city's hired, but not contracted, kill squad?  This (and other city actions against others) indicates to me that the City of Ludington is no longer playing according to Hoyle, these elected officials and Police Thief Jones want to send you to jail for invented reasons, if you're not in a protected class.  I have a feeling you are in that protected group, Rom.

🤣🤣🤣 Rom is very entertaining! I thought maybe he is a ploy of a paid psychologist trying to wow the readers and provide "answers" to the problem of Tom Rotta.

Rom: X is quite gentle again regarding Marx Barnett disparaging people who disagree with him (and probably were correct).

Please do just a little history and report on the psychological characteristics of a COP who can't have it anyway but his and who makes living in Ludington miserable because they can't admit when they are wrong.

Even if they were right, a public servant has to learn to deal with "detractors." Sometimes that means swallowing your egregiously wrong pride for the good of the whole. If he were right, I could justify a little more of his Marxist tactics.

A humble public servant could learn to utilize the skills of those who are obviously correct and more brilliant in understanding legal matters rather than coverup their own wrong doingssss time and again.

Rom. You don't have a clue regarding this situation. You want people to think you are smart but you are just clueless. Making fun of X's name nullifies any partiality you may try to use in order to get your point across. 

I much rather read the common sense logic of FS and X than the drivel you produce.

Rom may be disappointed that I didn't get a mugshot taken or jail time yet, but this morning I went through the arraignment process for the City's/Prosecutor's invented misdemeanors.  The magistrate was prepared to give me a lecture on driving on a suspended/revoked license, but he could find nothing in the available records from the SOS office regarding such revocation, so he's as bewildered as I am about where that charge comes from.  

He was almost as equally confused about the LPD authorized trespassing charge in a public park, and I really wanted to help him out, but I was similarly mystified as to what devious Hand could have drafted such a charge.  Regardless, the process will continue at 10:15 AM on October 28, 2024 with a pre-trial hearing.  I am actually looking forward to this blatant lawfare exercise to go to trial.  What better way to show that these people are so corrupt that they would try to throw an innocent person in jail rather than deal with their corruption being exposed.  I hope Rom can come and cheer for the bad guys. 

Thanks for the update, X. I am so confused too. It was over six months from the "trespass" to when you were served. You were never arrested. What happened to speedy trial? MCL 780.131 doesn't apply because you weren't arrested? What is missing in this case? It is so confusing and strange like a madcap at the Rendevous in the fog of the backwoods. Good to hear the judge is confused too. How can this even go to pre-trial?

Having your charges cleared and escaping punishment during an arraignment hearing is uncommon.  A judge generally lacks the authority to drop criminal charges at an arraignment.  Such charge changes normally would only come at the prosecutorial level, and this prosecution is not even-Handed.  A speedy trial, as legislated in the statute you provided, is not really guaranteed if you are not incarcerated when waiting for same.  

I should be getting more information next week when my attorney gets discovery materials back.

Thanks for that info and link, X. Still just amazing that the new PA seems that heavy-handed and can't realize the innocence here.  Maybe she wants to size you up in person?  So if you are falsely accused is there legal recourse?

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service