Just before Independence Day, the Ludington Torch has done the unusual task of owning the Mason County Press with our latest acquisition...

Not that we didn't own a significant portion of that enterprise, purchasing a sizable lot in the mind of that local news outlet's founder and owner, Rob Alway, in that three of the last five letters to the editor that have been printed over the last five months have been negative accounts of the Ludington Torch's founder and owner, all inspired by the City of Ludington's respect/fear of our journalistic investigations of their activities.  

But we at the Ludington Torch haven't acquired the business of the Mason County Press, as their model of journalism clashes with ours, as we don't regularly beg the public for money, regularly print the arrests and mugshots of those presumed innocent before they go through our dubious local justice system, or regularly compromise our principles of fair journalism by selling ads and having to worry about offending the purchasers by printing the truth about them later.  Frankly, this isn't our style and so we wouldn't consider the current version of the Mason County Press for these and other reasons.

What we did do, however, is find a good home for the actual placard that hung outside the real and original "Mason County Press" office in Scottville back around 50 years ago.  As a young child, I passed by this office and noticed the modest sign indicating the weekly publication was based in this centralized location in Mason County.  Scottville was much livelier and more self-sufficient back then and the humble sign and modest building it fronted symbolized that city's independence from news based only in Mason County's larger city that housed the county's seat.  

Achieving this sign was not easy or without sacrifice, albeit it wasn't a grail quest by any means.  A friend noticed that someone affiliated with the Manistee News Advocate-- who brought out the original MCP when it succumbed to economic forces, and for a time displayed it in Manistee-- inherited the sign on their retirement and was willing to let it go for $100 as related on a local antique web page.  We were not the first to view and desire this placard when it came up for sale, the wife of the current owner of the franchise/trademark wanted this artifact:

As you can see, Ms. Alway had made inquiries the prior day and was looking to scrape up the cash needed for its purchase, but as it was still pictured on the site, I sent a question to the seller to find out if it was still available, and it was to anyone who would come by with the cash.  As I didn't have to ask for money from a husband who in turn had to beg for money from those who read his website, I just grabbed some cash and went to Manistee to grab my prize.  Unusual though it was:

And after decades of being exiled to and out-of-place in Manistee County, one of our county's sacred relics came back to its homeland and in the possession of someone who revered the people's journalism embodied by the original Mason County Press.  As you can see, I have taken it around the city that serves as our basis point at the Ludington Torch.  Whether it was at our Ludington Torch office on this article's original picture, or just off the pickleball courts as seen above, the Mason County Press sign shined with a new light of its own as I walked it through the neighborhoods I cherish.  

Ludington Jaycee employee Andrew Lyewski heard of its history and our acquisition of it as we passed and was more than happy to pose for the picture above, another couple using the mini-golf course he manages, were also keen on getting their pictures taken with this repatriated sign:

There was a brief meeting with an old rival as we passed by Rath Avenue:

But the sign seemed most interested in the sculpture trail which wasn't around back when it had been in Mason County:

The current usurpers of the Mason County Press franchise had their chance to get this piece of history to validate their current incarnation by drawing on the lofty ideals of their original namesake.  They lost this scoop, and they have their own self to blame for it.  We at the Ludington Torch will not only keep the unusual journalistic ideals of the original weekly, but we will also expand on them as we seek truth, liberty, and justice for all.  Even antique signs.

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Laughing out loud! Best picture, imo, at sculpture park with the older guy. Looks like he's fishing out the truth. Makes me wonder if Alway paid to have the name MCP? Any idea?

That sculpture came out the best, but conceptually I like the water fountain sculpture with the young girl with her hands held out, it symbolizes the current business model of the virtual MCP.

I have no idea whether Rob paid any money to capitalize on the established "Mason County Press" brand, my guess would be that he did not, as he seems to believe that adding a '.com' to the end of it made it his own, as seen in his 2012 origin story

As I related in the Ludington Pitchfork this afternoon, I did a little research into the history of news media in Scottville:   "The Mason County Press ran from 1938 to 1976, ironically closing its doors on the nation's bicentennial year, with a brief respite during the mid 1980s. It likely arose after the "Scottville Independent Farmer" ran its course, which began in 1930 and died later in the decade. Scottville newspapers go all the way back to the 1880s with the publication of the "Mason Center Advocate" and the "Scottville Enterprise", the latter which would serve until 1918, but continue as the "Mason County Enterprise". As one of the surviving artifacts the last practitioners of Scottville's print media history, this sign means a lot to current practitioners of the journalistic arts and deserves not only a celebration but its own velvet case."

Love it. I am so glad you were able to save that sign. I bet Alway and his wife had a big argument when she was unable to get that sign. Great job on how you presented the story.

The ally who originally bought the sign to my attention, had the same thoughts as you as to how it could cause marital acrimony if I were to get the sign.  I wish them the best of luck for the sake of the kids, and hope that in the future that this episode can help her get better access to the couple's cash money rather than rely on Venmo.

SCORCHED BY THE TORCH!!!                                                                                                                               That will leave a mark.

Rob Alway is NOT a "journalist" ..... He is a biased JOKE who THINKS he's a journalist. There is a reason the LDN fired him TWICE. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service