As a nod to the beginning of our third year, we salute the end of the second by introducing the year end First Annual Flambeaux Awards.  Through a secretive vetting process, four choices are found for each category, with the opportunity for a write-in vote.  You may choose to vote in public by posting here your choices and any rationale you want to share, or send me (XLFD) a private message.  I will tabulate the results and publish it by January 3 (please vote by the end of the year.  Winners of the various awards will get some as of yet undetermined prize for their efforts, and the recognition from their peers.  Here are the categories.

1)  Local Story of Interest that You Couldn't Find in Other Local Media:

A)  Washington Avenue Bridge to be Rebuilt at $2.5 Million Without Any ... Aquaman-- Quite a lot of public dough to fix a bridge to nowhere.

B)  Sign Contracts Awarded Without Bids to Fiance of DDA's Chairman Who... XLFD-- Not to mention a bid-rigged process for the rest of the $150,000 contract by the new City Councilor.

C)  One Million Dollars of Public Money to Put in an Extra Runway at Ma... Willie Smith-- Some improvements at the airport came at a price, and again the need was questioned.

D)  Illegal Policy Enforced on a Candidate Running for City Councilor P... XLFD-- The effects of an ordinance that allows a City Manager to outlaw anyone from a public place without any due process or appeal.

E)  Other--  

2)  State and Federal Story of Interest Explored in the Torch

A)  Casey Anthony is Tried and Found Innocent Dave-- This thread followed the case from start to unexpected finish.

B)  Budget Battles, not Skirmishes XLFD-- discussion on what to cut in the year-long battles over the budget

C)  Weinergate Edie Lindsey-- This was a hot topic of discussion earlier this year.

D)  Baby Kate Gets National Attention for Abduction and Policework Dave-- This story had input from many reflecting on the local story.

E)  Other--

3)  Local Story of Interest, Non-Political in Nature

A)  Beach Officers or Lifeguards?  Angela-- Early murmurings of what was best for beach safety.

B)  Ludington Avoids Mentioning Christmas, Religiously XLFD-- Exploring the tale of two cities, around the Christmas holiday.

C)  Local Convention and Visitor's Bureau gets a major boost  Aquaman--  Local hoteliers add their own 'tax' to depress tourism even more

D)  Walhalla Gets Some Help XLFD-- Walhalla finishes high in the Reader's Digest vote, thanks to Torchies pushing them 13 spots ahead of Ludington.

4)  Best Picture

A)  The Roadrunner by Max

B)  John Shay's Gaze by Christopher R. Keough

C)  Under the Radar by Willy Smith

D) Sunset by Willy Smith

E)  Other--

5)  Best New Member of 2011

A)  Wanda Marrison

B)  easymoney

C)  Marty Redman

D)  Robert

E)  Other--

6)  Least Favorite Troll of 2011

A)  Jhon Sahy

B)  Heaven Therzky

C)  Rom Totta

D)  Eye on Ludington

E)  Other--

7)  Best Contributors to Threads

A)  When Will Atlas Shrug

B)  Guidothesemipeudocapitalisticpig

C)  masonco

D)  John

E)  Other--

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea. I've enjoyed rereading some of the old posts and comments.

Be sure to vote for your faves before the deadline.

Anyone, let me know also if there is something or someone I may have overlooked in these lists.  I noticed an under-representation of our female contingent's contributions after looking the list over, and there are several good posts and people that could have been put up. 

I made the finals!  And not as a troll.  I'll contact you soon. 

How about one category strictly for the ladies?  They are the ones in charge you know.

I can't help but feel such a category would be sexist in nature; I want to encourage our collection of women contributors to compete on the level with the men here. 

I did notice that I was biased towards the originators of threads and not in those who regularly reply to them, many of whom also occasionally add their own threads.  I added a seventh category for that, to recognize those troopers.

Yes.  Your article titled "5th Ward Councilor" was nudged off the first category.  I look forward to your entries, because whenever you do contribute, it's generally  profound, and sympathetic to those who wish to better the area.

what no "Librarian fired for writing a book sues county...?" and no calls for new library head and board that condoned it...?

Where else but the public sector can you break the law,get tax dollars wasted yet still keep your job and have nobody say anything about it....?

How true snide, when the private sector flunkies can't get ahead or stay employed, they usually join the public sector employment. Where success is measured with smoke and mirrors, not reality checks of achievement and prosperity.

that so called libarian had no problem defaming a bunch of local lowlifes that still have a right not to be.  i would have done exactly what bob dixon had done, fired her.  she is going to lose if she hasnt' already.  just like x-lsd defames me by calling me a troll whatever that means.  Put me down for an E on that one, with the sites creator as my right-in. 

Attention XLFD

After a very very short deliberation, which amounted to reading  certain and recent, negative posts, I wish  to change my vote regarding the Flambeaux Awards. I will truly enjoy, the extremely satisfying pleasure, of throwing the name "Heaven Therzlke" into the pile commonly referred to as Least Favorite Troll of 2011. And please Heaven, don't thank me, because you certainly deserve the honor. You are a truly unique role model for all the little trolls who keep trying to crawl up decent folks' pant legs so they can nibble on butt hair while enjoying the scented aroma of their behinds.

oo oo oooooo what an honor mr. smith.  just for that i'm scratching off x-lsd and putting in willie the trollie on my ballot as a right-in.

I appreciate the recognition Heaven, and you can consider me as the trolls troll.

A right in? lol

Classic.

What grade are you in Heaven? If it's anything higher then 4th I'll feel like my tax dollars are being wasted.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service