Ludington City Council Meeting, August 27, 2018: Here's Your Sign

The Ludington City Council meeting of August 27, 2018 was more interesting than it should have been.  The agenda really only had a couple of things on it, most concerning some very minor amendments to the Bowling Alley Block Development contracts (as was done for other minor amendments at the previous meeting), a zoning change approval to accommodate the housing development at 705 S Madison discussed at the previous meeting (and passed without issue at this one), and an ordinance allowing the city manager to approve special events signs (discussed at last meeting, naturally).  

The only other things brought forth was the first reading of a new sidewalk policy and a couple of updates not addressed in the packet for the meeting.  After City Manager Steve Brock gave his first invocation (and did a great job at it) I got up at the 2:15 mark to give him some praise, a way to tweak the sidewalk amendment to the City's advantage, and just in case you thought I was going soft, a reasoned plea for the restoration of a property right.

August 27th, 2018 Ludington City Council meeting from Mason County District Library on Vimeo.

XLFD:  "I would like to commend the interim city manager for introducing an amendment to the recently passed sidewalk exemption policy, which has its first reading tonight. Summarized, if a property gets a sidewalk exemption, it still must pay the City half the amount it is estimated to put a sidewalk in. This money will be put in a dedicated fund for sidewalk maintenance and construction for priority sidewalks and shall forever satisfy the owners of the exempted lot's obligation to pay for sidewalk construction. This is an improvement for an exemption policy that could have been a disaster.
Since sidewalks do not last forever and need to be maintained by their lot owner, I would suggest that the 'forever' be reduced to a finite period that one might expect a city sidewalk to last without major repair, like 60 years. Thus those who exempt themselves and pay the sidewalk tribute rather than construct a sidewalk would not exempt a future owner if new construction is done after 60 years. This gives even more equity to those who opt for sidewalks and the added maintenance costs and frees up more future money to the sidewalk fund. Think about that tweak.
I hope the city will vote down the ordinance to change the approval of special event signs from a power of this council to a power of the city manager. This power should have never been the council's prerogative in the first place, rather it should have been the right of the lot owner the sign is placed in front of. In relevant part, current zoning law section 800:1 says signs permitted by the City on a temporary basis can be located in a public right-of-way. 800:4:1 says there are seven types of temporary signs that can be placed without permit, one of those are special event signs, one of those are for construction signs, two of those are for commercial or industrial districts, three are geared towards residential units.
Each of the residential unit applications: election signs, real estate signs, and yard sale signs, require the approval of the owner of the property that the sign placers are putting the signs in front of. It seems only natural that property owners have this right of approval for special event signs, not the city manager, as they are trusted with the care of this strip of land they technically own by law. The public easement contract does not apply to special event signs, but for travel and utility purposes."[END]

The council would later pass this event sign ordinance unanimously without any thought that property owners had any part in the process, their only concern was to provide sets of criteria for the city manager to use in deciding issues regarding special event signs. 

Councilor Winczewski would talk of a survey that was mailed out to homeowners along Ludington Avenue and said that overwhelmingly, the owners indicated the signs were okay.  There is no reference to the survey other than the councilor's words anywhere, not even to using this method in any of the subcommittee meeting notes available, so I'll be asking for this 'overwhelming' survey via FOIA. 

Brock indicated later on in the meeting after the first reading of the sidewalk amendment that the idea was for perpetuity but indicated a consideration of my tweaking proposal.  But he added that from the existing ordinances he suggests (with the city attorney's blessing) that a transfer of ownership could trigger the requirement for sidewalks to be installed (9:35 in), with possible exemption claimed and this payment in lieu of the construction.  

The corresponding part of the code that deals with sidewalk and transfer of ownership (Sec. 46-82) only mentions problems with existing sidewalks.  I just don't see anything there regarding installation, so until they can show otherwise, this should be a rejected argument.  Councilor Winczewski wanted to have further discussion and understanding about the issue at a committee of the whole, but her motion was never seconded and it died.

The updates consisted of a basic timeline and procedural for how they are searching for the next city manager, and for ushering in a new process for picking up yard waste (leaves) that would split collection from one to two days.  The north side of town will be picked up on Monday, south of Ludington Avenue will be picked up on Tuesday.  

Chuck Sobanski led off comments by showing the council a recent picture of Copeyon Park from the paper with a lot of geese near the water.  He expressed his concern about the goose poop, children in bare feet, and the spread of disease.  Brock and Holman addressed that geese were bad.

I then addressed an issue found in the agenda packet on page 12:

XLFD:  (38:00 in)  "I can't help noticing that the city attorney is charging the City over $7500 in attorney fees this period for work dealing with the Bowling Alley Block and the Fastlane Grant. Nearly $4000 of that is for the FASTLANE grant and in the three meetings this has been bantered about, including a passed resolution and ordinance, nothing has been said about the City recouping the tremendous legal costs which the city attorney is requesting from our taxpayers. Why isn't Lake Michigan Carferry directly paying our attorneys or their own attorneys to get this substantial gift from the American taxpayer?
Instead, Bob Manglitz and Pat McCarthey from LMC comes before a city subcommittee in May this year looking for some help from the City to front the project costs so that LMC would not have to borrow from other sources. A handout from a City going tens of millions in debt to maintain their water and sewer and make a new fire station. Over three months later, the City has yet to make a yes or no decision at an open meeting, but they are at least fronting the costs for legal expenses.
The bowling alley block has the same issue. A $16 million dollar project by a developer who has made many other multimillion dollar projects is getting legal help courtesy of the Ludington taxpayer. Why do we have to pay Bob Manglitz's and Bob Jacobson's legal bills without any compensation? It's probably the same reason we the people wind up financing their supposedly private dock project and building project?"  [END]

After a few mundane announcements, Attorney Richard Wilson responded to that premise:

Wilson:  "Contrary to rumors you may have just heard, the city attorney is not providing legal services to either the developer of the bowling alley block or the Lake Michigan Carferry. Under the terms of our agreement with the City, special projects such as the federal FASTLANE grant and the bowling alley block are billed outside of the retainer work and that is exactly what is happening here, and both the bowling alley block developer and Lake Michigan Carferry have their own attorneys, and as a result the city attorney is representing the City's best interests in all of those negotiations.

I would also point out that it has been made clear and Lake Michigan Carferry acknowledges that the final agreement that we are working on will include a reimbursement to the City for all of my attorney fees. That's not the case with the bowling alley block, those are not reimburseable, because they could not be under the MSHDA program, but the City will be receiving a municipal services fee from the bowling alley block that will include enough money to reimburse you for those legal fees over the next twenty years, and I'm sure it will not take that long to reimburse them, but I do not work for anybody but the City when I'm handling city matters, and so I did not do work for either Lake Michigan Carferry or the Bowling Alley Block in regards to any matter dealing with the City."

Mayor Kaye Holman: Thank you (echoed by another) I knew that.

Wilson: I know you did, but there were rumors.

Councilor Wally Cain: I think we all knew that (general laughter by the panel).

Arthur Schopenhauer once noted that "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."  The city council is stuck in the first stage, I hope you are either at the third stage or can be placed there by noting that the City Attorney in a roundabout way has said that there is no way currently in place for the City of Ludington to recoup his expenses he is charging to the City, and everybody who pays taxes and/or utilities here.

Consider, we can agree the council voted to pay his bills earlier in the meeting, that money comes from the City's revenue sources, primarily from you.  Wilson admits there is nothing in place yet to recoup the money from LMC:  "(LMC) acknowledges that the final agreement that we are working on...".  Wilson admits the BAB cannot by law reimburse the City directly, that the money to reimburse his already-paid fee is coming to him in the future via a municipal services fee.  That's crazy talk, he's already been paid, that MSF amount hasn't even been agreed on yet.  

So you and everybody else paying for local taxes and utilities just paid over $7500 for legal fees concerning the BAB and FASTLANE grant, and Bob Manglitz, Bob Jacobson, and all those private entities using the services of City Attorney Wilson in order to realize the $5 million federal subsidy known as a FASTLANE grant and the millions in state and local subsidies for the BAB development, spent either nothing or just their 'share of taxes/fees'.  

I repeat:  "Why do we have to pay Bob Manglitz's and Bob Jacobson's legal bills without any compensation? It's probably the same reason we the people wind up financing their supposedly private dock project and building project?" 

Wilson may work for the City of Ludington as a contracted city attorney but the work he did here was for the benefit of private individuals who do not even live in this county or near it, so city taxpayers are indeed paying this out-of-county legal contractor for doing the work that these Bobs need done to effectively realize their much larger gifts from the public.

I think we all knew that (sighs of sadness).  Their attitude just shows how greatly out of touch they are with the common people who foot their excesses-- and that's no rumor either.

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

• Good point about Wilson waiting for his 20-year "or less" payback.  He should be the one waiting, not the taxpayer.  Deals like this, I'm afraid, are just adding to our already heavy debt, and Wilson probably doesn't care ... Maybe he sees more "special" work juggling the city of Ludington debts around.  The city council seems entirely with their heads in the sand.  May as well take the west end dune and dump it over city hall.

Speaking of the west end dune, the flat part at the end of Lud. Ave. got severely washed out on Tuesday nite. Two large holes there now, and guess what the COL did now? They are filling it in with large white rocks instead of back-filling it with more natural sand. Go look guys and gals, it's a mess now. Take some pics. too and post them, it's pathetic, and also not DNR sanctioned.

The West End of the DUNE also has a big hole in it now, like 12' wide, a big void that deserves COL attention to restore, but, that looks like it will never happen, according to what they are doing now, that's a shame, and probably illegal, in the DNR terms, except to municipalities that do whatever they want to, very sad, and shocking for people that care!

Wheres Willy when we need him, send a picture to the DNR

Well you messed up their over billing scheme X previously so now the city attorney has to make up that shortfall somewhere  less he is uninvited to the company's Labor Day cookout.

This is another crock of Shay that shows how contemptable he was and how toady the members of the city council can be while pissing away the taxpayers money.

At an exorbitant rate $175/hour that works out to about 43 hours of lawyering. Sure would like to see the notes and billing for the 43 hours.  Maybe the first increment of billing is for a 43 hour week.

And what kind of double speak is this,  that there will be a 20 year timeframe for the attorneys to reimburse the taxpayers of Ludington? Will this also include an adjustment for inflation and interest??? Ha! Funny there was no mention of this by lawyer Wilson or the sycophants of city government.

This is but another scheme to line the wallets at the expense of taxpayers.

Exactly Shinblind, thank for your usual pinpoint posts and info. on the truths of the life here, it really matters alot and will be remembered today!

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service