Ludington Election Guide 2018, pt. 1, National and State Candidates

If you want to make an informed decision on what candidates and what stances on proposals to choose on November 6th on your ballot, there has never been more resources around to inform you.  Websites such as this, show just about everything you need to know about the issues and candidates, it's up to you to choose. 

I will offer my perceptions of the candidates (and later, issues) as unbiasedly as I can, and I hope to elicit other perceptions from the reader of this piece, whether they agree, disagree, or both.  Or they just want to add to my summarizations; in some cases, the differences to me between the two choices is rather insignificant, which brings out the libertarian philosopher in me:

This is the first of a three part series.  This will concentrate on State and Federal candidates, the second will look at state and local proposals, the third will look at contests within the county.  There are two national positions up for grabs dealing with our area, the US Senate position currently held by Debby Stabenow, and challenged by John James and various third party candidates:

Stabenow regularly votes with other Senate Democrats on all major issues, James runs the traditional Republican ideals and is considered a rising star in that party.  If elected, James would be the first black senator from Michigan, and outside of Illinois, the first black senator from a state not bordering either the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean.  Independents wanting change and to be a part of history should consider James.

The other national race has an incumbent Republican, Bill Huizenga, challenged by Democrat Rob Davidson and another from the US Taxpayer's Party.  Both will attract their core, while independents seemingly have no big reason to seek change at this position.  The UST candidate is more likely to draw votes from Huizenga, so this could be a close election if Davidson has a strong ground game.

Michigan will have a new governor, the main candidates being Gretchen Whitmer, D, and Bill Schuette, R.  Whitmer has a distinct advantage in that even the Republicans in their primary have decided that this is a 'change' choice on the ballot, by not nominating Lt. Governor Calley.  Schuette does have some baggage that is and should be exploited by the opposition.  If you like neither major party candidate's character or positions enough to waste a vote on them, you still have plenty of choices to make a statement with.  Be sure to choose a lieutenant governor and secretary of state with the same affiliation, whichever way you go.  

The MI Attorney General's Office may also see a blue shift this election cycle, particularly if Whitmer defeats Schuette without much problem.  The Democrat, Dana Nessel, will benefit from the hammering of Schuette's record throughout the Republican primary and by Whitmer, and by a platform that appeals to moderates.  

Curt VanderWall, fresh off from beating three other candidates in the primary including two other recent state representatives, is poised to take this seat versus a smart opponent.  VanderWall will benefit from representing a very 'red' multicounty area, and since he comes from Mason County, should be the best candidate to represent us here.

Jack O'Malley should also benefit from the Republican-leaning area and his radio personality background.  Both candidates express their party's views rather succinctly, and Wiejaczka will have to show an even better ground game than she had in the primaries that delivered her a very lopsided victory over her opponent.  Still, this race is O'Malley's to lose.

Please add or amend in the comment section below about any of the races or candidates that would be of interest to other voters.

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks X for posting this topic and for your input.

Debbie Stabenow has been extremely bad for Michigan and the U.S. She is a career politician and has never been in the private and has no idea how it works. She is a sociallist and a closet Marxist.  My vote is going to John James.

My vote

Bill Huizenga

Bill Shuette

Tom Leonard

Curt VanderWall

Jack O'Malley

Proposal 18-1: Coalition to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol

NO

Proposal 18-2:A proposed constitutional amendment to establish a commission of citizens with exclusive authority
to adopt district boundaries for the Michigan Senate, Michigan House of Representatives
and U.S. Congress, every 10 years.

NO

Proposal 18-3A proposal to authorize automatic and Election Day voter registration, no-reason absentee voting, and
straight ticket voting; and add current legal requirements for military and overseas voting and postelection audits to the Michigan Constitution

NO

Thanks Willy: did you see the James vs. Stabenow debate recently? It was very good in that the difference between the two is like night and day, not referring to color at all either. James is a very intelligent man, retired fighter pilot, very well educated, and very astute on issues affecting us all, and well spoken with politeness and common sense. Couldn't ask for a better Senator for Michigan. Stabenow is very unintelligent, dull, no values or principles, career politician, and hasn't accomplished diddly in the 18 years as Senator, pitiful. She has no business even running based on the debate, sad, and pathetic woman that knows nothing except her loyalty to the Dems..

What impresses me about John is that he's so impressive on the issues and on personality, while Debbie is... not so much.  Here's the second of their videos courtesy of WXYZ TV.  If you view it on YouTube and scroll through the comments, its clear those that watch and learn thinks James is a rock star and Stabenow is outdated.

Agree, Aquaman and Willy. John James is a much needed hope for Michigan and our political system. Thanks X for keeping us informed.

Schutte is a hold my nose and vote only because he is the lesser of two evils. Gretchen is Granholm lite. Don't need to be blown away ver.2.0

Same thing with Prop 1. Don't need to see Michigan money going to Canada because it is legal there and not here. 

I need a hand to hold my ballot steady and a hand to darken in the ovals, so I'm not likely to vote for Schuette for Governor.  Whitmer does smack of Granholm with a dose of Blanchard thrown in, she would again require me to hold my nose. 

When the two parties fail to put up a quality candidate, that's when you look at the third parties, or just don't fill in either oval.  So when I tell you that I voted for Bill for Governor, it will be Gellnau, the Libertarian candidate.  Feel free to tell me I wasted my vote, because I'll just be shaking my head that you chose either of these two flawed major party candidates.

Impressive and true imagery, X.  I hope you can hold the ballot steady enough to darken a Libertarian vote if necessary just to send a message.

I just heard Bill Dustman's ad on radio. Very convincing argument:. Take care of the city first and the tourists will be impressed. City first. USA first.

RSS

© 2024   Created by XLFD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service